Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Caporegime
Has anyone successfully used the Activation Troubleshooter to reactive 10 after significantly changing their hardware? I've read it should be possible as long as you link your licence to a Microsoft Account.

wmb

wmb

Associate
Updated to build 1607 on laptop. Got rid of windows.old files, then on re boot Windows fails to log into local account. Type password, it thinks about it for a minute then back to log in screen.

Have tried this twice in last 24 hours, have had to reset windows to factory build to get things up and running again. :mad:

This time I'm doing by best to stop and windows updates from installing.

Soldato
Pike, I wonder if linking your license to MS account is much different to extracting the digital product key and noting it down.
For primary use I have created local accounts on the computers I have migrated to 10, which are thus not linked to MS account, so that there is no tracking/telemetry (never sure whether you need internet access to use a linked account too ?).
I suppose I could create a linked account on these computers too, to use infrequently, in case of license issues.

Soldato
seems like MS acknowledged and are fixing problem with partitions becoming unallocated after AU update
(a pity the guinea pigs/inssiders did not find it - but some good folks ran diagnsostics for them - ideally they will have a new ISO too , has AU ISO already been updated though ? )

maheshrd 2 points 7 hours ago
Hello Everyone,

I want to give a huge Thank You to all who responded with my diagnostic information requests about their “tanked secondary drives”. I’m pleased to say that this information enabled us to identify the root cause of the issue. We are actively building and testing an update to fix this issue into Windows. We’ll deploy the update via Windows Update as soon as that process is finished, restoring access to your files on the affected drives. In all of the cases that we have diagnosed, files were safely intact on the drives – so please, don’t reformat. You can also access your files by connecting the affected drive to a different machine (not running Anniversary Update), if that is an option for you. If waiting for an update is not an option, then rolling back will also restore access to your files. For up to 10 days after installing the Anniversary Update, you have the ability to “go back” or return to the previous build. To uninstall the Anniversary Update: 1. Open the Settings app. 2. Select Update & security and then the Recovery tab. 3. Under “Go back to an earlier build”, click the Get started button and follow the instructions.

(Note: If more than 10 days have elapsed since installing the Anniversary Update or the “Go back” option is otherwise not available; we ask for your patience until a patch can be released)

Soldato
Anyone else with a bluetooth dongle having problems? Seem to just be constantly getting code 43.

I had a code 10 for my Bluetooth on Asus motherboard, it uses Qualcomm Atheros chipset, fix was to remove it(including driver etc from Device Manager)and do a rescan in Device Manager, Windows re-added the Bluetooth and Windows own driver which works fine.

Soldato
MS have kb/3073930 too, which may help control drivers (not yet tried it myself, but want to find out how you can see what drivers it wants to update, before it does it; nvidia have now fixed the one that is automatically installed by 10 )
To temporarily prevent the driver from being reinstalled until a new driver fix is available, a troubleshooter is available that provides a user interface to hide and show Windows updates and drivers for Windows 10.

Soldato
Does everyone get a weird flickering box around their account picture in Settings > Accounts? It is most noticeable in Dark mode but it also there in Light mode.

nope, mine fine on desktop which as 390x / 290x and 2 laptops which 1 as 970m + Intel HD Graphics and the other as Intel HD Graphics ..
Well that is weird. Just tried it out on another PC with Intel HD and it is still there. It only last around a second and is not important. Just looks glitchy and unfinished to me.

Associate
no problem here. I even added a profile pic to see if it made a difference

only problem ive had is I installed a new M2 SSD and done a fresh install and it wouldn't activate..
cant find my old W7 code so couldn't try that.. so jumped on to a software site and had to spend £22 for a W10 pro code

annoying as hell as I did a fresh install a few weeks back and once I signed into my account it activated without needing a code

EDIT: after writing that ive found a notepad in my USB drive with my old code written on it!!! :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
Well that is weird. Just tried it out on another PC with Intel HD and it is still there. It only last around a second and is not important. Just looks glitchy and unfinished to me.

i tried again on my desktop and now i see a grey box around the picture only for a split second. i think it could be something to do with loading the picture.

Last edited:
Soldato
For those who leave their PC on for hours, do you start to notice notifications becomes delayed? For example when taking a screenshot via the OneDrive shortcut, when the PC has only been on for a few hours, the notification comes instantly. But after a good 5/6 hours or so, they become half a minute late?

Associate
Has anyone found their startup login background picture to be different? My laptop still has to same old beach photo but my desktop has a picture taken from a plane. Both machine are set the same so I'm not sure why they're different now. Screen resolution maybe?

Associate
I had a code 10 for my Bluetooth on Asus motherboard, it uses Qualcomm Atheros chipset, fix was to remove it(including driver etc from Device Manager)and do a rescan in Device Manager, Windows re-added the Bluetooth and Windows own driver which works fine.
Will give this a try later, thanks.

Soldato
Has anyone found their startup login background picture to be different? My laptop still has to same old beach photo but my desktop has a picture taken from a plane. Both machine are set the same so I'm not sure why they're different now. Screen resolution maybe?

If you use a ms account to login you'll probably find it has created a new separate theme for you. If you go into the themes option you should see a different theme for the one you usually sync with your ms account.

Back
Top Bottom