1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 - Can't delete some files?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by davewhite04, Aug 7, 2017.

1. davewhite04

Mobster

Hi all,

I'm trying to tidy up my "New" laptop already, the c drive is almost full somehow, I've just updated Windows...

Anyway, I've used "Cleanup" to get rid of system upgrade files etc. and that got me 3 gb back, but I'm trying to delete a folder called "Windows.old" which is over 21gb. Windows tells me I can't and mentions "System". I'm using the username I created to set the machine up with, so it's admin.

Is there someone out there who can solve this problem for me?

Thanks

P.S I've tried google but the answers are just misleading and out of context generally.

2. SC0TTRS

Wise Guy

You can't right click and delete that folder.

Use 'Disk Cleanup' within Windows, click 'Clean up system files' it will allow you to remove windows.old (will appear be in the list of files/folders you can delete).

3. davewhite04

Mobster

Unfortunately Windows.old doesn't show up in Cleanup. I should of just kept my self tidying up Mac at this rate!

OneDrive took up over 30GB btw, so moved it to my other HDD.

4. ver01@

Associate

Start deleting subdirectories. There will be only a couple of files that prevent you from deleting the whole folder. Once you are left with only these files do a restart and then try again.

5. davewhite04

Mobster

This doesn't work either. Now I realise I've wasted £800 on a Windows 10 laptop, worst OS ever. Keeping my AirBook methinks, can't be bothered with a computer that does not do as it is told, basically. Basic operation, delete a redundant folder, no can do. Silly.

6. Orcvader

Capodecina

Do you not see "Previous Windows Installation" in the list after selecting "Clean system files"?

Another option is using command prompt in admin mode to delete it, but I've never found myself needing to do this.
    Code:
    takeown /F C:\Windows.old\* /R /A
    icacls C:\Windows.old\*.* /T /grant administrators:F
    rmdir /S /Q C:\Windows.old\

And then after a restart it should be gone.

7. Danny75

Mobster

That's odd, never had to mess about (much) to delete windows.old, just did it through Action Centre > All Settings > System > Storage > This PC > should show up somewhere now, or inside "Other" or something, don't recall. Click to expand and remove/delete.

8. markweatherill

Mobster

I reckon if you persist with Windows you will at least have the satisfaction of finding several more opportunities to repeat the above. You can really get a sulk on!

But to get over this obstacle, try downloading CCleaner (free). It has the option to clean 'old Windows installation'.

9. hornetstinger

Mobster

Boot up with linux live CD and delete from that?

10. davewhite04

Mobster

Well CCleaner deleted most of the Windows.old directory now the laptop won't boot up. Solution is to install my own version of Windows 10 or a refund, leaning towards a refund.

11. Musty Pie

Soldato

12. pcfarrar

Gangster

On another machine just use the Windows 10 Media Creation tool and create a bootable USB stick.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

You are better off starting with a clean install on a new laptop anyway as they are generally full of manufacturer installed bloatware etc.

13. davewhite04

Mobster

Thanks all. I've returned the laptop, it was an MSI. I would of done a clean/fresh install if it was second hand but not taking any chances when I've paid almost 1k for it.

RIP Windows 10 for beginners who want to recover space from completely unnecessary directories, or badly named ones at the very least.

14. james.miller

Capodecina

lol. Just googling it would have given you the answer. Windows will also ask you if you want to delete it and do it for you if you run low on space.

Deary me.

15. Tee Hee Johnson

Mobster

Seems extreme, but oh well.

16. HoneyBadger

Wise Guy

All you needed to do was to click right click start, run, type in cleanmgr and click the button that says "clean up system files"

17. AHarvey

Sgarrista

I'm thinking it's an Apple fanboi troll if I am honest...

18. james.miller

Capodecina

You can just type that straight into the cortana search bar or hit the windows key then type it

19. davewhite04

Mobster

You can't do anything if it no longer boots into Windows not even after a repair. Morons. I am a MacBook Air fanboy, it's an amazing laptop with not 1 problem in years but not too good on games. I'll use my consoles and my PC rig for games. Terrible experience for 1 folder.

20. james.miller

Capodecina

You could have before you tried to use cccleaner to delete the folder. Slight irony there with the moron comment.