Windows 10 FAQ

Soldato
OK so got it going perfectly now.

The drivers on the NVidia website are 353.30 - do not install.

Instead - install drivers 353.62 - either by downloading from guru3d or by installing old drivers(347.52 work) and then allowing GeForce to upgrade you to 353.62 and do a fresh install.

SLI is now enabled - good to go :)

Soldato
haha true! I am only installing what I use on a day to day basis at the moment including drivers etc. Games(well GTAV) will be installed tomorrow and we shall see how that goes!

I am changing my GPU today, from Team Red to Green.

Now, hopefully it won't kill Windows 10. I have installed Titanfall though! That is all what matters! :p

Soldato
Just to add for informations sake. I did a clean install of Windows 8.1. Once installed I activated windows. Did not let windows update anything. Had the ISO for Windows 10 on my USB pen, ran Setup from there. It upgraded to Windows 10. Then i activated Windows 10. Finally I did a reset of Windows 10 so it would be like a fresh install. Reset was probably not required but I wanted a Clean install rather than an upgrade.

EDIT: How about adding something about using the RESET option for a clean install rather than a Format and clean install in the FAQ for an advisable way up doing a clean install? So many people seem to have issue with a fresh reinstall.

Last edited:
Soldato
OK so got it going perfectly now.

The drivers on the NVidia website are 353.30 - do not install.

Instead - install drivers 353.62 - either by downloading from guru3d or by installing old drivers(347.52 work) and then allowing GeForce to upgrade you to 353.62 and do a fresh install.

SLI is now enabled - good to go :)

Their 353.62 if you select US Language and it'll download the international version.

Associate
I anyone uses the pin to login or has numbers in their password the num key is disabled at the password screen which is annoying, to have it enabled permanently at startup change the registry keys to this.

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard]
"InitialKeyboardIndicators"="80000002"
"KeyboardDelay"="1"
"KeyboardSpeed"="31"

Associate
OP
So if like my you do not like being thrown into the full photo windows when looking at photos this reg edit will re-add "Photo Viewer" like in windows 7 and 8 to the default options for photo files! This will allow you to open them inside the desktop rather than being thrown into pictures.

https://mega.co.nz/#!WMU13Cxa!cZK2Z0DJYhgbrNPiXRKtUQyCkSZC8M7iaHgwo8GnZO4

How to use

1) Run and let it add the registry entries
2) Right click a photo and change the default application to photo viewer (It will now be one of the default options)
3) Profit :)

Last edited:
Soldato
If anyone finds info or knows how to get rid of Cortana from running completely (waste of 30mb mem) and also to get rid of the OneDrive integration completely, please post up the details. I was having a quick look last night but haven't spent time on it yet, just posting this up in case people out there have some info before I spend time on it after work. Cheers.

System at idle utilising 2.6GB of RAM versus the 1.6GB used at idle on my previous 8.1 install.....

Associate
Any idea how to add extra group names on the start bar?

I can see the "life at a glance" group name but can't see how to name additional groups like you could on windows 8.1.

Thanks
There's a hamburger button menu at the right of each group name. You need to place a tile in an empty space first then move the mouse cursor to where you'd expect the group name to display.

Soldato
Good thread.

A couple of questions:

1) How can I confirm that my Windows 10 is activated properly? The upgrade seems to have gone smoothly, but I will likely do a clean install next week.

2) I have seen it mentioned that your Windows 10 licence is tied to your hardware and your microsoft account. Well what microsoft account? I didn't use any microsoft account with w8 and I dont currently have any account attached to W10. Do I need to have a "microsoft account" linked to my w10 licence before I perform a clean install?

3) I have read about some issues with W10 automatically downloading things like graphic drivers and causing a lot of issues. How do we disable this and have it set up to only download updates when we let it? (I am on W10 pro if that makes a difference).

Associate
OP
1) Start type "System" (Control Panel) and open it it will say if windows is activated towards the bottom

2) its hardware not windows account.. I didnt make an account eaither but mine works fine

3) read towards the bottom of the first post :)

Soldato
Is it possible that if you used your windows account to sign in the license key is linked to that? My Windows account is also linked to my MSDN account, and I noticed last time I installed Office 2013 on Windows 8 I didn't need to bother entering a license key, I just had to sign in to activate it.

Also good idea on the thread, looking at "new posts" is showing rather a number of Windows 10 help threads.

Back
Top Bottom