Windows 10 FAQ

Any ideas of how to get the Windows 10 Reservation app to open?

I've yet to reserve it on my laptop which my parents use however it wasn't on a legiti Windows 7 and as such I've reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium with a genuine activated licence which is a Acer OEM licence.

All updates and SP1 installed, done multiple checks and I've used the MS GW10AppDiagnostic tool but nothing.

Anyone shed any light on this?

If I create the ISO, I assume I can upgrade using this from Windows 7 and KEEP my files at the same time? Worried about my files being deleted thats all. I've got the BT folder on my comp but not been prompted to update yet so was thinking of going the ISO route via USB stick.

If I create the ISO, I assume I can upgrade using this from Windows 7 and KEEP my files at the same time? Worried about my files being deleted thats all. I've got the BT folder on my comp but not been prompted to update yet so was thinking of going the ISO route via USB stick.

Yes just extract the iso to your desktop (or pick make a usb stick rather than iso) and run it from within windows (dont boot from it) it will give you the option to keep everything.

Just if you do make the USB stick be aware that it might try to boot off it when windows starts restarting. So when it restarts you might wanna pull it out until its started to boot off the hard drive.

Yes just extract the iso to your desktop (or pick make a usb stick rather than iso) and run it from within windows (dont boot from it) it will give you the option to keep everything.

Just if you do make the USB stick be aware that it might try to boot off it when windows starts restarting. So when it restarts you might wanna pull it out until its started to boot off the hard drive.

Thanks!

Does anyone know what the situation is with w10 locking to hardware? I run 2 windows virtual machines on my server, which I'm planning to upgrade them to Windows 10. If I do, will it lock to the vm or the server?

So if I move the vm to another machine, will I not be able to reactivate it, or do a clean install on the server itself as the host os?

To remove the AWFUL ClearType/Font AA

Disable ClearType (Type ClearType in start to find setting easily)

Open Regedit, navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
Delete FontSmoothing named string (REG_SZ)
Set DWORD FontSmoothingType to 2

For nVidia
Open 3D Settings in nVidia Control Panel
Set Global AA setting to 'Off'
Configure per application based settings to preference.

Bask in readable fonts once more.

Privacy Concerns

Do not use Cortana if you want to avoid sending copious amounts of personal data to MS. It's not magic....its data collecting to achieve it's functionality.

Adjust Privacy Settings
Win10PrivacySettings.jpg

Last edited:
Might be worth considering adding this. I got a grey box pop up after clicking the Install button (after it checks for updates) saying "Windows 10 Failed to install [OK]" then it just disappears. Also the notification app disappears too. Turns out it was Samsung Magician Rapid Mode enabled. I disabled it, rebooted, and its now at 81% install of Windows 10. Also read it doesn't like Rapid Mode enabled too much after install.

For the machine your using? You can download the iso and use windows 8 native mount iso feature to do the install. You dont need to burn it :)

Might be worth considering adding this. I got a grey box pop up after clicking the Install button (after it checks for updates) saying "Windows 10 Failed to install [OK]" then it just disappears. Also the notification app disappears too. Turns out it was Samsung Magician Rapid Mode enabled. I disabled it, rebooted, and its now at 81% install of Windows 10. Also read it doesn't like Rapid Mode enabled too much after install.

Added :)

great post thanks i have 2 questions if someone would help me out please

1. for weeks i have had the little windows logo in my taskbar and now its just vanished but i have had no option to upgrade .

2. i am not quite sure what you mean on the wifi sharing part of your post ? i have a laptop connected to my router but my xboxs and stuff and the kids computer also connect to it along with other devices like tablets and phones so they need to connect ?

3. my bro just text me he does not want to keep signing in with his microsoft account can you use a local account like you did on windows 8.1

thanks guys looking forward to following this thread

1) Did you ever open it and apply for the free upgrade? If you did you can just install it by downloading the iso mounting it in windows 8 and running it.. (No need to burn it or put it on a USB)

2) Its a new "feature" Microsoft saves your WIFI password if you turn it on or someone who joins your network does by accident it encrypts it but this encrypted version is available to all your Facebook, Skype and outlook friends. So they can access your wifi. (They never see the password, but their device will automatically connect if they walk past your house for example)

3) Yes it is possible the same as windows 8.1

Back
Top Bottom