Associate
OP
Yeah that's not correct, sorry. The ISO for business editions of W10 is not the same as Home. You don't need to activate Win10 Pro to be able to use (or test) GPOs. He's upgraded to Pro, but hasn't activated it, but it's still Pro and therefore GPOs can be modified.

OPs, there's a PS script available on Technet as part of the W10 Security Baselines that will set all your GPOs back to day one. Probably a quick google will help you find it.
any ideas to what I should search/ how I should find it? I've done a quick search but I'm not really sure what exactly to look for.

Soldato
Hello,

I've recently noticed that there are a lot of group policies set on my personal pc that only I use at home. I don't know why this is as I don't remember ever setting anything like that. I've tried many different suggestions on different forums but nothing seemed to work, and now I cannot access any of the group policy editors with the error message 'MMC could not create the snap-in.'. My account has administrator and I even made a second account on my pc and set it as administrator to see if that would help. I started with Windows 10 Home but upgraded to Windows 10 Pro (unactivated) shortly after because I thought maybe that would fix it. Please help I can't even access the Microsoft Store without it telling me that the group policies are preventing it!

Clean install is your only option.

Your post implies that after finding GPs enabled, you set about trying to fix it, via many suggestions on other forums - so there's a high probability that one of these things has impacted the o/s. That's how I read it anyway.

Assuming you're on W10, hold Shift when clicking reboot and pick the option to reset your PC - that will revert to a clean install of Windows. Think there's a restore in there too, so you can at least try that first. There will be guides online to help navigate the advanced startup area.

Regarding the GPs - I don't ever recall seeing anything changed from 'Not configured' out of the box, so don't understand why/how these might have changed, but that's by the by now.

Associate
OP

Your post implies that after finding GPs enabled, you set about trying to fix it, via many suggestions on other forums - so there's a high probability that one of these things has impacted the o/s. That's how I read it anyway.

Assuming you're on W10, hold Shift when clicking reboot and pick the option to reset your PC - that will revert to a clean install of Windows. Think there's a restore in there too, so you can at least try that first. There will be guides online to help navigate the advanced startup area.

Regarding the GPs - I don't ever recall seeing anything changed from 'Not configured' out of the box, so don't understand why/how these might have changed, but that's by the by now.
Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow :D

Associate
OP

Just had a look at settings and this shows up.
ISrA6SL
https://imgur.com/a/ISrA6SL

Soldato
Just had a look at settings and this shows up.
ISrA6SL
https://imgur.com/a/ISrA6SL

Those aren't group policies they are Windows Update MDM policies. You've probably done an Azure AD join; in Settings -> Accounts -> Access work or school is anything listed there. If it is then removing it should remove those policies; obviously removing it will remove your access to whatever account you've signed in to.

Associate
OP
Those aren't group policies they are Windows Update MDM policies. You've probably done an Azure AD join; in Settings -> Accounts -> Access work or school is anything listed there. If it is then removing it should remove those policies; obviously removing it will remove your access to whatever account you've signed in to.
Just had a look in settings and it wouldn't let me reset to a previous windows update, so I tried removing my school/workplace account and restarted my PC and it seems that everything is fixed! Will I still be able to access programs such as Microsoft Teams without this happening again?

Soldato
Just had a look in settings and it wouldn't let me reset to a previous windows update, so I tried removing my school/workplace account and restarted my PC and it seems that everything is fixed! Will I still be able to access programs such as Microsoft Teams without this happening again?

Windows 10 is REALLY pushy trying to get you to sign into a Microsoft account - so much so that the post 1903 installer (iirc) won't even let you do a Local Account during the OOBE; until you pulled the dman Ethernet cable out :D

Teams ought to allow you to install it, and log int, without it changing your Windows account to sign into the same MS accout - just be very wary what you click on during the Teams sign in. I run Windows 10 'old school' if you will - insomuch as it has a local account to log into the o/s, and my work 365 account signed into apps without affecting Windows.

Be really careful of tweaks and 'fixes' going forward though - forums are littered with hilarious advice, and always have been, and some of it is down right iffy! Windows 10, although a **** o/s, is pretty well put together, so shouldn't need any tweaks for general users.

Back
Top Bottom