Windows 10 - Search Broken - Blank Window

Soldato
Looks like good old Microsoft broke Search on Windows 10 1903/1909 (so far) machines dropping like flies at work. Its slowly starting to be picked up on the web if you google it.

There is a sort of fix here but its not always been working for me.

https://superuser.com/questions/1522905/windows-10-search-not-loading-showing-blank-window

My laptop been fine all morning came back after lunch and its got it too.

Something to do with Bing I think as it points to it when using Windows 10 search.

Soldato
Looks like good old Microsoft broke Search on Windows 10 1903/1909 (so far) machines dropping like flies at work. Its slowly starting to be picked up on the web if you google it.

https://superuser.com/questions/1522905/windows-10-search-not-loading-showing-blank-window

Something to do with Bing I think as it points to it when using Windows 10 search.
A couple of the pcs I support have just done the same thing, will post up a fix when I find it!

Permabanned
I got this too this morning. Can confirm it's a registry key x2 issue and this is the fix. Apply key then reboot.

To add via command line (CMD)
Code:
Reg Add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search /v BingSearchEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Code:
Reg Add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search /v CortanaConsent /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

To add via registry file (REG) https://mega.nz/#!yvxACCpT!56C7eR0yCxcrpjGQJdDYrSCSmDKUuU0qkILc8AlEdZg
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search]
"CortanaConsent"=dword:00000000
"BingSearchEnabled"=dword:00000000

Soldato
I got this too this morning. Can confirm it's a registry key x2 issue and this is the fix. Apply key then reboot.

To add via command line (CMD)
Code:
Reg Add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search /v BingSearchEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Code:
Reg Add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search /v CortanaConsent /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
This. Thanks for that, I was starting to get angry :p

Permabanned
This. Thanks for that, I was starting to get angry :p

Yep, I was too because it was working yesterday. I really don't get how they can manage to break things this often.

These keys means they must be integrating desktop searches back up to the cloud/bing or whatever so more stealing data lol. Probably to do with their Bing default search roll out.

Soldato

something to do with Bing I think as it points to it when using Windows 10 search.

Same as guys above though the alternative route via regedit,

1. Hit the Windows Key + R shortcut on your keyboard.
  2. Type regedit and hit Enter on your keyboard.
  3. Double-click HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
  4. Double-click SOFTWARE.
  5. Double-click Microsoft.
  6. Double-click Windows.
  7. Double-click CurrentVersion.
  8. Double-click Search.
  9. Right-click the right pane of the RegEdit window to bring up the menu.
  10. Click New.
  11. Click D-WORD (32-bit) Value.
  12. Type BingSearchEnabled and hit Enter on your keyboard.
  13. Double-click the BingSearchEnabled entry you just created.
  14. Type 0 in the Value data field. (It should already be 0 but make sure).
  15. Click OK.
  16. Double-click CortanaConsent.
  17. Type 0 in the data field. (It should also already be 0 but make sure).
  18. Click OK.
  19. Restart your PC.
Seemed to work for me, Ive a second machine to do it on too, first pc was W10 pro v1903 needs to be rebooted after rather than restarting services.

Soldato
All working fine again at work now, wasn't a patch or anything (our machines don't apply Windows 10 patches as update is turned off, we apply them through Manage Engine) and no fix applied to my PC so it's got to be something tied to the back of Cortana/Bing.

Back
Top Bottom