Windows 7 / 64Bit Cant Install ACPI BIOS not compliant error

Associate
Other than Opensuse, have you had any Windows stable on your current setup? All 64bit - tried 32?

What's the model number of your RAM? And, is it 1x 4Gb or 4 x 1Gb?

Is the RAM a recent purchase? You could always return it saying it isn't compatible.

Associate
OP
The RAM has been used for about 12 months with no issue its STD OCZ Plat DDR 800 1GB X 4. I changed the mobo lately because I bought an LSI MegaRAID SAS card and needed 2 x PCIe thats above the X1 that were on the ACER board, previously was running it fine. I have tried using the same type of RAM from the kids PC also same type and model OCZ albeit on an Intel chipset MSI. Both PCs have the 1GB ATI 4670's.
My ram functions fine in his overclocked core 2 with 4gb and Windows Ult 7, it had a full day soak test on left4dead and resident evil 5 with no lock ups.
I have tried my mobo with no SAS RAID and taking the power away from all the drives excepting the PATA that loads /boot /root / swap and the windows partitions. Still fails.

I have not tried XP 32, but I can say that 3gb @64bit on Windows 7 Ult works fine... Its the 128bit x 4 x 1GB is where the BSOD starts.

On the Acer board 4 x 1GB worked fine with Ult with no issue.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Grrr now having to run fsck on all PATA partitions again and SAS raid before i can re-install grub. Seems since windows screws with the boot loader it causes me to need to run full fsck before it will recogise any ext3 partitions to allow reinstallation of grub /mbr.
I'm sure there is a better way... but im sticking with whats safe for me.

Looking like its going to be a swap of a mobo or swap of 2 x 2GB of ram...

Jeez this takes me back to the 80's with early RISC ICL servers... LOLz

Associate
Can you give me a couple of links on that? I need this to convince my credit card.

I had a look at your board on the gigabyte site and looked at the memory supported list and noticed the following:

Note: Due to AMD AM3/AM2+ CPU limitation, memory module DDR2 1066 or above speed is only supported by 1 dimm per channel.

So, did a google search for that, and on another forum, found that the limit applies to 2 channels and max 4gb (so 2 x 2gb). Using more DIMMs, RAM will only run at 800.

Not a problem here, but in the same thread, the person that had that problem was using or was going to buy OCZ Platinum and the first reply was don't buy that RAM! Lot's of stability problems with increased volts. Apparently, and I don't know if it's still the case for the newer bioses, but the vdimm on these boards run higher than normal - in the 1.9s.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your time on this... What is your opinion on Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel (KHX8500D2K2/4G) [KHX8500D2K2/4G]

Using this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-039-KS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=817

Or do you think I'm asking for more trouble?
I'm looking for 4gb for the moment and then later upgrade it again 8gb as it normally sits there week in week out runing linux downloading and hosting media. Occasionally it will run windows when the kids mates show up for game time.

Last edited:
Associate
I think they should be fine.

Here's the product page:

http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr2.asp#1066d

That ram's SPD should auto set to 800. You'd be limited to 800 though if you added more later on.

You could always ask OcUK with a webnote or in the Customer Services forum stating that you're still not 100% sure if the new RAM will solve the problem and if it can be returned on that basis.

I used that RAM in a quad intel/abit ip35 mobo... the heat spreader is reassuringly shiny!

If everything's fine with 3 DIMMs in use, you could always set it up for the time being and swap out the ram when you receive it. Or do you want to make sure it's all ACPI-friendly during the install?

Associate
OP
Seems wierd the way RAM is causing ACPI errors, would an updated BIOS fix things maybe?

I'm afraid it doesn't, I have tried all the published releases.

I will try just the RAM 1st on the 5600 Dual core AM2 first.

Have ordered,

Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel (KHX8500D2K2/4G)
AMD Phenom II X3 Tri Core 720 Black Edition 2.80GHz (Socket AM3)

Due to be delivered tomorrow.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
OK, ill give it a blast... see what happens and report the findings.

Thanks for the suggestions, always appreciated.
However, I did follow up on Le Samourai suggestions, and do understand where he is coming from.

Associate
OP
New Info &

OK, this will be disjointed...

The memory 2 x 2gb on 5600 Am2 didnt fix the problem.
The problem lies with the disabling the sata on the mobo.
Have done some more testing with new ram and new processor.

I would appear the ACPI error is down to using a system with SATA bios disabled because im using a pata only for primary for boot / root / swap & windows primary and the megaraid SAS as the 6 x sata interface rather than enabling the onboard sata.

I expected the new ram to work at the higher speed and it didnt no matter which way it was placed, all resulted in having to use at DDR800 rather than higher.

**** NOTE: on 2GB only this works fine with SATA disabled... just tested (2 x 1gb DRR 800)

So I wanted to try a swap back and tried the ocz in non-gang mode and it worked both on the 5600 and the Phenom II.

This is getting really strange...

Will keep tossing it around and update... any suggestions welcomed.

BTW / the only SATA drives are on the megaraid SAS (6 x 1TB RAID 5) not the mobo and the SATA must be enabled even though there are no drives just to stop windows 7 complaining about ACPI errors.

This is doing my head in.... I deployed 80 Sun Servers over the weekend with my team and zero problems.. LOLZ

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry you're still having problems!

If you're troubleshooting I'd always set the BIOS to default settings for as many of the settings as you can. Quick way to do that is load optimized defaults and it's always recommended to load those after a BIOS flash.

The only settings you might need to change are - disable onboard audio if you use a soundcard and enable usb support for keyboard and mouse, if needed, and maybe alter some of the system/cpu fan speed settings depending on your setup. Might need to change the hard disk boot priority to add-in card first and enable HDD SMART.

Your new ram, when your BIOS settings are set to auto, will run at 800. That's its JEDEC SPD setting. You need to manually adjust the BIOS in order to get a faster setting. Although, I wouldn't worry about that at this stage - save that for once the system is up and running.

Forget about the boot priority - your pata drive should be first. Just re-read that!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just as a final update, Gigabyte and I have been talking and they acknowlege that there is a bug-ette in the BIOS vers 5 and below and have released a modification in alpha form to me based on the rev 5 BIOS to test.

Will post the results when i get round to flashing it.

So if you are getting errors, prepare for a long long dialogue with them!

Don
Best of luck mate, let us know how you get on.

Pretty good, they're giving you 1 on 1 help.

If you push, they may send you a newer board altogether (if they can't fix the issue)

Back
Top Bottom