Windows 7 Impressions

Associate
Ive tried vista before a few times, and while I liked it, I always had problems playing games (Going from odd graphical glitches to wierd freezing (both mainly in cod4), to complete lockups).. I have no idea why this happened and have been forced to use XP because of it :(

If I try windows 7 am I likely to find the same problems given that its based on similar architecture?

Soldato
Got my Windows 7 installed. Was a pain for the Raid but got the latest drivers of the GIGABYTE website and wacked that on a memory stick so no probs there.

Some questions.

1. I can't get Daemon tools installed. When i launch the setup it would often ask me to reset (which is normal) but as its adding the virtual drive then it goes through the whole cycle again.

EDIT.it looks like the developers are not going to do a fix on this as its a beta product. Does any one know any alternatives to Deamon tools thats light and easy to us?

2. How do i get my short cut icons back on the bottom left hand side?

3. Should i be reinstalling my video card drivers? I've got a 8800GT and when it was doing the updates it got the drivers and did what it had to do. Should i just go onto the Nvivida website and install them?

Soldato
I like being able to middle click to open taskbar icons in a new window, but what I really want is a quick way to close them! i.e. shift + middle click.

Does anyone know a way to do it?

I don't like the way 'close' is so far away from the taskbar. Well..... about 1 cm :p

Associate
I don't know about you but from my first impressions I am saying this should be a free upgrade. I say this because this is what MS said Vista was going to be. Next; Has anyone got their printers or any peripherals working with it. HP have no intention of writing drivers for it until the RC stage. My Sound Blaster XiFi Elite Pro will not work with it and so far I have found no eligable drivers that coherantly work with it. The Windows Media bug is back again. We first had these problems with The Windows Server and it seems that MS have encorporated those faults into the package.
Finally, where are the windows Clasic menus. I prefer these because I hate my screen being filled with other programs which are unnecessary. They tried this menu system with Vista and whilst it may work for some it doesn't logically wash for me no matter how many people rave it up. I require something that I can taylor to my own functions and not be told do this or tough. If they do they have lost me as a customer.

Soldato
Does anyone else think 7 reminds them of KDE on Linux? It looks very similar and gives me the same sort of remoteness to the PC. I find myself staring at the desktop and thinking what to do now and getting bored of 'using' the computer. Which is the exact same feeling I get when running KDE desktop environment on Linux.

Izi

Izi

Soldato
Just installed '7' - all seems good.

Much faster than Vista on my laptop. Love the new launcher bar.

This is going to be a hit OS.

Soldato
I installed it the other day. Installed in about a quarter of the time Vista takes, and its as fast as XP on the laptop I'm using with it. Installed office no problems ditto Visual Studio 2008. I'm impressed for a beta.

Associate
i went back to windows vista after using this for a week, too many problems with games like no punkbuster support in cod4 so keep getting kicked, also i get a lot of stuttering in cod5, wow has constant hdd access and crossfire loses performance rather than gains it.

Yeah the PB thing annoyed me too. They reckon they won't bother supporting 7 until it's properly released. Wish I'd have done a dual boot with Vista now cos there's hardly any non-PB servers to play on.

It does play CoD much faster though - but I guess that's got something to do with using x32 Vista, and 7 using x64 and all 4 gig of my ram. Not tried CoD5 yet though. Apparently it works fine.

Associate
Had it for about a week now, seems more like a patch for vista is some ways, but overall its a great OS.

love opening song in media center, closing, opening WMP and it starts same song from same flace, good coding there.

going to carry on using it as my main OS with vista on separate partition just incase

Spartn

Associate
I run XP normally, didn't upgrade to Vista not out of Luddite extremism but because XP was/is working fine and I didn't fancy spending the £££s. However, I am impressed with W7.

One nooby question. I installed the 34bit version on a seperate partition, what it the advantage of the 64bit one?

Back
Top Bottom