Windows 7 on a netbook?

Associate
ahh ok. It just dosent seem to detect mine whatsoever

overall though its working perfectly fine with win 7 beta 1 and its only got 512mb of ram. Its a little bit sluggish at the mo but im sure when I upgrade to the full gig of ram it will be sweet

Last edited:
Associate
Some people report it working after the initial boot - basically it doesnt pickup the device but when you reboot it does and works (had a problem where it wouldnt copy 100+mb files over the network tho) but whenever I rebooted it would not pick it up again, until I rebooted again and it was fine. I tried quite a few different drivers, tried forcing the drivers and everything else I could think of.

It maybe something to do with the initial boot - the ones who claim it to be working are the ones who dont touch the wireless and just reboot.

hummmm how strange my wireless has just decided to work

POB

POB

Soldato
Its working great on my Aspire One.

Placing the task bar on the left is really useful, allows much more height.

Resume from standby is just about instant now, compared to a couple seconds on XP.

Soldato
Installed x32 w7 on my Samsung NC10 last night and first impressions are extremely positive. Not a single issue and it feels less 'heavy' than Vista. Need to turn off Aero Snaps though (wherever that is) because the moment you move a single window, it'll snap to the side of the screen due to aero's fat UI borders.

Soldato
But the Beta copy will expire on 1st August 2009, so maybe not a solution for your main workstation. I run my copy in a VM to test out the features

The official release of Windows 7 is around September; so you can always use the beta as a main rig (as I am for both my main laptop and netbook.) And when it comes to upgrade, I'll just need to backup both of them into my external HDD with windows backup and then I'm sure you can transfer it back into your retail copy...

Or so I hope anyway.

Soldato
Not at all.
It runs fine, similar if not better than the original XP installed on the Netbook on 1GB. Vista on the netbook on the other hand is sluggish.

Permabanned
I have a Windows 7 on a .iso file which i cant burn to disk, can i use Deamon Tools, or another program to make a Virtual drive then install it from there.

Im sure this will work..

POB

POB

Soldato
I have a Windows 7 on a .iso file which i cant burn to disk, can i use Deamon Tools, or another program to make a Virtual drive then install it from there.

Im sure this will work..

Won't it reboot out of windows to install the OS?

The only way this would work is if your installing it into a virtual pc type system.

Soldato

Im sure this will work..

As in mount it then install Windows 7 to replace your OS or on virtual? On VMWare, it can work but AFAIK, if it's installing it like you would do with a CD/DVD of OS software, no. USB Boot install in the next logical choice.

Permabanned
When i did this for Vista or XP cant remember, i just had the Vista/XP .iso file, created a new virtual drive via mounting it in Deamon tools, Then a new Drive was available which i would just go into and click on the install Exe to install.

Soldato
I mounted the ISO using daemon tools, and then copied the setup files off the virtual drive onto my 32GB usb stick. Then I ran the w7 setup from that stick whilst I was within XP SP3 on my netbook.

The setup then copied the w7 files to the netbook's hard disk and installed it without a hitch from that point.

Soldato
I did it from the ISO via USB. to dual boot

I followed this guide

http://windows-vault.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!85356D8A8EE4C854!1023.entry

Then I simply loaded up XP and installed from XP choosing my D drive on my netbook as the install location.

My netbook is new so my D drive was fairly empty.

I've got an NC10. In idle Win7 runs between 45-50% of ram using 1 gig of ram.

I'll upgrade to 2 gig soon.

Back
Top Bottom