Windows 8 relieved (video)

Associate
It's very bold, for the first time in a long time no one can say that Microsoft aren't taking risks. Whether the risks pay off or not is another question entirely.

Soldato
The touch half looks fantastic, though I don't think I'd ever use it on an actual PC? Would like to see more on the normal side of it, though it looks like the perfect OS for tablets IMO.

Soldato
ooooh got to admit that touch stuff is very nice, great way of having both worlds and creating a decent user experience.

as long as performance and overheads are reasonable this looks like a good release.

Associate
OP
What I like the most about it is the touch and tiles don't seem to be just bolted on and it all works together. I just hope that it will run great on low end hardware which it should do considering its being built for ARM too

Associate
the touch side of thngs will be great for tablets and ipad type devices but for desktops pc i think it wont be useful. most desktop wont have access to a touchscreen and i can see using a mouse and keyboard with that interface becoming annoying. On a personal note i want a pc to be a pc not a rip off of a mobile phone OS just because it works on a phone doesnt mean it'll work on a pc. but hey maybe i'm wrong and people will love it.

Associate
OP
the touch side of thngs will be great for tablets and ipad type devices but for desktops pc i think it wont be useful. most desktop wont have access to a touchscreen and i can see using a mouse and keyboard with that interface becoming annoying. On a personal note i want a pc to be a pc not a rip off of a mobile phone OS just because it works on a phone doesnt mean it'll work on a pc. but hey maybe i'm wrong and people will love it.

If it integrates facebook and twitter it will sell billions :D lol

Soldato
Looks ok for tablets and the like, can't say it looks great for traditional desktop pc's.

Also, relieved? relieved of what?

Soldato
Repeating what's been said, but it does look really good and easy to use for mobiles/tablets, as it seems to be more oriented for touchscreen users (by this demo alone). Not sure about desktop PCs until they show more of normal k/m use.

Soldato
that very much looks like an OS for a tablet

not sure if MS are innovating here, or just following the crowds again

either way, i reckon windows 8 will be massive

Soldato
MS are going to be untouchable with this OS. The most surprising thing for me is that the new .appx programming model seems to be based on HTML5 w/ Javascript. That is a pretty huge shunning of Silverlight / WPF.

Soldato
My missus commented while i was watching this video 'What are you watching with such disdain?'

First impressions, i really, really don't like it. Looks OK for tablet and touch screen. I can't see any benefit for desktop.

Also, it is very obvious to me that demo system is using an SSD. I wonder what performance will be like on the billions of platter HDDs, given SSDs are still priced out of the market, when pulling all that media data off the hard drive.

Last edited:

PR.

PR.

Associate
Looks interesting but I don't think you'll see all that touch interface on a normal PC, only if you have a touch enabled device.

I can't help thinking it's running on some hot i5 with 4Gb of ram and a 60Gb SSD drive which is exactly what I don't want from a tablet device.

Back
Top Bottom