Windows 8 - the Features, Applications and News Thread

Anyone using a laptop with Windows 8, do you get a gestures on your trackpad?

My Macbook Air has a jumble of iffy drivers, and I'm not sure if I'm missing some gestures to show the charm menu or switch between apps.

Anyone using a laptop with Windows 8, do you get a gestures on your trackpad?

My Macbook Air has a jumble of iffy drivers, and I'm not sure if I'm missing some gestures to show the charm menu or switch between apps.

Depends on the drivers. You're lucky your MBA trackpad is working at all I couldn't get my MBP working - I ended up plugging in a USB mouse.

Just had this this big update (163MB), KB2756872 to RTM:

The actual update includes the following improvements:

■ Increased power efficiency to extend battery life
■ Performance improvements in Windows 8 applications and Start screen
■ Improved audio and video playback in many scenarios
■ Improved application and driver compatibility with Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2756872

Yep, apparently MS have got rid of SPs as they take to long to get out, in this mobile era where apple and android release updates so more often. So when updates/new features are ready they'll be released.

Typing this on an Acer Iconia w500 running Win 8 RTM.

Having used this tablet solidly for a couple of weeks, I am seriously impressed with 8's use of graphics processing architecture. The processor in these things is an AMD c-50, and includes an integrated 6250. The device hasn't once felt slow and laggy in any application use.

As for 8 itself... now I'm getting used to it on a touchscreen device, I am quite impressed. Contemplating trying it on my home desktop next, but like many I'm having doubts about the interface using a mouse.

Yep, apparently MS have got rid of SPs as they take to long to get out, in this mobile era where apple and android release updates so more often. So when updates/new features are ready they'll be released.

MS have not said they will stop service packs and they will most probably continue to do so with bundled sets of updates. There were a number of updates that did not make RTM and some that have come up since the beginning of August. MS have endeavoured to deliver them early.

Steven Sinofsky said, “During the final months of Windows 8 we challenged ourselves to create the tools and processes to be able to deliver these “post-RTM” updates sooner than a service pack.” So we have an important update before official release.

Some of my posts have not been massively Windows 8 friendly, however, I have to test this for work (mainly introducing tablets) and some things I'd like to do to hopefully make it better whilst I'm testing (and people can probably help? :D) are as follows:
  • Pin the power menu to the interface so I can restart / shutdown via it
  • Create folders
  • Search app store
  • Change the 'Metro' IE to the normal IE (not sure if this is possible though it does get annoying going to the desktop)
Also does anyone have any idea how often the live tiles refresh? I'm thinking more mail than anything else as I may like to choose how often it updates.

Ta,

M.

Last edited:
Right-click on the traditional Windows desktop and select New Shortcut. In the box that pops up, type your chosen command. You can make it a Shut Down (/s) or Restart (/r) button,

shutdown /s

shutdown /r

In the next box that pops up, name the button appropriately.

What do you mean createfolders?

Use the built in search. Either from within App Store get the charms menu up and press search, or just start typing in metro, then on the right hand list select the App Store. It's an incredibly powerful and great feature in win8

Just pin the desktop ie icon to the start screen.

Last edited:
I'd have liked a folder so I could, for example, have productivity with Office and Image editing tools in it.

The shutdown seems to work fine - odd way of doing it (thought there would just be an easy shortcut!)

Ta.

M.

There will be an easy way for power. Some one will make a Free app in the store, but for the moment that works.

I don't think you can make folders.
Instead just separate the groups in metro, you can name each group as well.

Also does anyone have any idea how often the live tiles refresh? I'm thinking more mail than anything else as I may like to choose how often it updates.

For the mail app the update frequency is in the app settings (accessed via charms) and you can set the intervals

The actual tile itself should update at the same time the app receives new mail and it cycles through new messages on a pseudo random timer.

I have noticed though that the mail app can lag behind by a couple of minutes. I use OWA on the desktop and it ALWAYS beats the mail app to the punch.

Back
Top Bottom