Windows 8 - the Features, Applications and News Thread

Associate
Typing this on an Acer Iconia w500 running Win 8 RTM.

Having used this tablet solidly for a couple of weeks, I am seriously impressed with 8's use of graphics processing architecture. The processor in these things is an AMD c-50, and includes an integrated 6250. The device hasn't once felt slow and laggy in any application use.

As for 8 itself... now I'm getting used to it on a touchscreen device, I am quite impressed. Contemplating trying it on my home desktop next, but like many I'm having doubts about the interface using a mouse.

I got one a few days ago also and windows 8 on it flies... got myself a nice little 64gb SSD upgrade also.. this thing even with 2gb ram just feels so speedy...

Associate
Has anyone figured out how to get 2 metro apps running on multiple monitors? Got the TV app and Twitter on one screen but as soon as I try search the metro screen to run another app everything gets minimised.

Can metro apps run on multiple monitors? Seems like a massive oversight if not

what's the best email app people are using these days? i'm tired of the dated look of thundebird and would like something more fancy. i've added a couple accounts to the default mail app in win8, which although lovely, seems to have very limited ability, e.g. creating folders/ deleting folders etc.

Associate
what's the best email app people are using these days? i'm tired of the dated look of thundebird and would like something more fancy. i've added a couple accounts to the default mail app in win8, which although lovely, seems to have very limited ability, e.g. creating folders/ deleting folders etc.

That's the problem. Thunderbird works really well, is very capable and is, quite frankly, tough to beat. I tried Outlook from my Office DVD but prefer Thunderbird and the way it works. The Mail app in Windows 8 is all very well, but I like multiple windows open on the desktop when dealing with email and a Metro app can't do that.

I would like to know what other use, though, as I am open to change if it is something that works.

Don
I do wish you could set apps to use 50% of the screen instead of just 20%/80%/100%

A 50/50 split is essential for some of the work that I do, especially using remote desktop. I have to revert to the desktop to work like this.

Back
Top Bottom