Windows 8 who's buying/upgrading

Man of Honour
Whats better about the Netflix app?

It's a far better lay out and easier to navigate. Much prefer it to either the android on my tv, the website, or iOS on the ipad version.

However now it's so good, can we have more than 10 suggested films. Doesn't even fill the screen up. Unlike the stupid scroll on the others.

Soldato
considering a purchase of win8 oem on a new build i'm nearing completion on (been away from computing for sometime), but what happens if say you've built a new system, install win8 and couple of months later it turns out your motherboard has an issue and it gets replaced under warranty - would the same OS work?

You would just have to call them and follow the automated procedure. It wouldn't activate online though.

Soldato
has anybody had this issue? I can't uninstall nearly any programs. I've reinstalled win8 3 times. each time the uninstall works for about a week then just this below..

uninstall.png

Associate
To the people who have created a shortcut to shutdown, is there a way to apply some sort of "Are you sure you wish to..." check on it? I've placed it on my taskbar for quick access but it would be super annoying if I ever accidently clicked it so I'm curious if this is possible. If not I might just chuck it in the metro menu.

Soldato
To the people who have created a shortcut to shutdown, is there a way to apply some sort of "Are you sure you wish to..." check on it? I've placed it on my taskbar for quick access but it would be super annoying if I ever accidently clicked it so I'm curious if this is possible. If not I might just chuck it in the metro menu.

I added it to Win+x menu,http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.30 ,

winxeditor.png

Man of Honour
Remember oem is now basically retail and does not have the same license as win7.
So no issues with changing components, but as said you'll probably have to phone activate.

Soldato

Taskbar stuff will activate in a single click, desktop shortcuts are double click If that works better for you.

V F

V F

Soldato
That's only because W8 is aimed at slow battery powered portable/touch systems and not desktop machines:

If Microsoft decide to make separate portable/desktop OS's instead of a mixed "Jack of all trades, master of none" effort that W8 is there's no reason why Aero can't come back.

But they wont, thats twice the support. When has Microsoft ever released two OS's with different style of interfaces? MCE doesn't count because it's effectively Luna with another skin.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's only because W8 is aimed at slow battery powered portable/touch systems and not desktop machines:

If Microsoft decide to make separate portable/desktop OS's instead of a mixed "Jack of all trades, master of none" effort that W8 is there's no reason why Aero can't come back.

Dream on......

Soldato

You don't need Aero,its only eye candy at best,if you want Aero go to your local sweet shop,personally its very easy to get Win8 looking great especially with my Firefox themes and I don't miss Aero at all,besides only Vista and Win7 ever had Aero , its not a must need feature that does a lot, which we know does very little.

Also we all know Microsoft drop features and change things now and then,so no point clinging on to something that has gone.

I've seen a lot of changes since DOS 6.22 days and if I can live with the ever changing Microsoft operating systems then anybody can,if not go to Linux.

I would rather see DOS come back then Aero,at least I would find DOS 10000000000x more useful then Aero but as we all know no point living in the past.

:)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
For those saying they'll rethink, they just advertised positions for people to unify w8,winRT and wp8 into one complete system, so app created for one will work on any platform.

A new job listing within the Microsoft kingdom suggests the company wants to create a more unified Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8—something Microsoft has hinted at over the past several months. Spotted by WMPowerUser, Microsoft is seeking a software development engineer to help bind development platforms for the two operating systems. For what it’s worth, the job listing has since been removed.

“Do you wish the code you write for Windows Store apps would just work on the Windows Phone and vice versa?” the job listing asks. Boy howdy. The listing goes on to explain that a worthwhile candidate would help unite platforms built for desktops and tablet “to the phone form factor.”

WPPowerUser has the full listing, which talks of a team with ambitions to blur the phone/tablet/desktop experience—or at least make it all more unified. It’s unclear how quickly Microsoft could pull such a project off. But if it’s done right, the profile of Microsoft’s new software initiatives could be boosted tremendously.

This is the correct direction, if they carried on like some of you wanted they would have done a Nokia or Blackberry. They are working late, but at least they haven't fallen of the cliff yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
You don't need Aero,its only eye candy at best,if you want Aero go to your local sweet shop,personally its very easy to get Win8 looking great especially with my Firefox themes and I don't miss Aero at all,besides only Vista and Win7 ever had Aero , its not a must need feature that does a lot which we know does very little.

Also we all know Microsoft drop features and change things now and then,so no point clinging on to something that has gone.

I've seen a lot of changes since DOS 6.22 days and if I can live with the ever changing Microsoft operating systems then anybody can,if not go to Linux.

I would rather see DOS come back then Aero,at least I would find DOS 10000000000x more useful then Aero but as we all know not point living in the past.

:)
totally agree and well said.

people need to stop moaning/complaining about metro and no aero. it won't change anything. Microsoft won't back down just because some people don't like a change. yes sure Microsoft will tweak metro but no way they will remove it/bring back the classic **** start menu, and as for aero it's gone and im 99.99% sure it won't be coming back. so I suggest either lean to live with changes and stop thinking about the past or don't use windows/pcs.

simple as that

end of

Last edited:
Soldato
Fine by me, having thought about it Windows 7 suits my needs right down to the ground. Sure, it's a slap in the face that Microsoft don't seem to care about me as a power user or gamer, but hardly the end of the world.

Man of Honour
Games and power users are fine on w8. All features bare still there. So that's a kind of silly statement.
What you mean is although everything's still there you don't like metro and don't feel like a Power user, even though any power user can do exactly what they always have done.

Soldato
How does learning Metro benefit me as a gamer/power user? What does it offer me over Windows 7 to make me switch?

Please don't say boot times. I already boot into Windows in a matter of seconds.

Man of Honour
You coming from the wrong end.
You said it's a slap in the face for gamers and power users.

How is a new start menu you don't want to use a slap in the face?

As for features gamers and power users theres plenty. yes faster boot is one, faster generally, task manager, recovery systems, secure boot to name a few.

So how is a start menu you don't wont to use a slap in the face? It doesn't remove anything and adds a decent amount of features.

Soldato
Because I do use the current Start Menu extensively?

And it's a slap in the face as the gamers/power users money is the same colour as everybody else's - yet instead we get an OS with little to no improvement for those users just so that Microsoft can unify their platforms to sell more phones/tablets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom