Windows 98 Gaming PC: The Beige Build

Caporegime
They probably bundled both sets of clips with it in the later years, I'd imagine you'd be able to fit the CPU without the clips as long as you don't kick it around.

Associate
Soldato
OP
Today I cut off the little leg what was blocking the CPU:

Before
IMG_0876.JPG

After:

IMG_0878.JPG

With the CPU

IMG_0880.JPG

Edit- I like how this picture of 'precision electrical equipment' ominously has a saw in the background ;)

Unfortunately the retention clip is bulging a bit, as the CPU has a little springy clip itself which is meant to stick out one of the little holes on the motherboard retention clip to stop vertical movement. However, the clip is mounted too high on the cooler, so it pushes against the motherboard clip and pushes it out a bit. But the CPU is properly mounted into the CPU Slot and won't go any lower, I think it is just the varying cooler and retention clip design between manufacturers :(

Sadly I can't fire it up as I am missing jumpers to tell the motherboard what the CPUS multiplier and FSB speeds are... unless I just try anyway!

Soldato
V F, I had an Antec Plusview 1000AMG and later a full tower Chieftec.

Out of the cases I've owned, I would absolutely love another. My favourite all time case.

Still rocking my PlusView 1000AMG with a 3.2GHz P4 Prescott socket 478 OCd to 3.4GHz on a Gigabyte 8KNXP mobo, 3GB DDR in dual channel and a 128MB 6800 Ultra. She's still a lovely girl.

She'll get some retro love one day. I fancy making a new back panel to accommodate 120mm fans, bottom-mounted PSU and shove the mobo upwards a bit. Might even make a socket 478 mount for a AIO of some description (that Prescott is HOT HOT HOT), or even a full loop inside. I wonder if I could mount my spare GTX Titan cooler to the 6800 Ultra...

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
I've run another problem :( it won't post! Nothing on the screen at all. The GPU fan spins up, the HDDs click to life and the KBM numlock etc LEDs flash once. I've got a little PC speaker plugged in and I don't get any error beeps.

I've installed the jumpers with 7x multiplier and 100.3MHz FSB. The manual only goes up to P3 550MHz as an example configuration but it says how to set various multipliers and FBSs. I've set the "keyboard boot" jumper to off, which the manual says is the default option. I've unplugged everything except the KBM, GPU, CPU and RAM. I then even unplugged all the RAM, GPU and CPU in turn to see if I could at least generate error beeps, but nothing...

I've done normal stuff like tried different sticks of RAM in different slots.

Any ideas? Considering it does not provide any beeps at all, I think it is the Motherboard or CPU (too much bad luck for it to be 3x sticks of RAM...)

Associate
Other great games, X-wing vs Tie fighter, X-wing alliance, jedi knight 2 + expansions , star wars supremacy (rebellion), half life, colin mcrae rally, quake 2, civ 2, duke nukem, grim fandango, grand prix legends, sid meiers pirates!, its late i cant remember anymore :)

Nice project, good luck!

Soldato
OP
I've got two compatible CPUs on the way (thanks armageus!) and I'm thinking of getting a more period graphics card to go with the rest of the system. I've narrowed it down to the ATi Rage 128 Pro and the TNT2 (mainly for cost reasons). Which would you recommend?

Soldato
Well done Sir!

After watching LGR and Phil's Computing Lab, I put together a semi-retro machine.

It's a Celeron (1.3Ghz) (Socket 370) based machine running MSDOS and Windows (WFW) 3.11. It had an ISA Slot, so I picked up an Aztech Sound Card and a Dreamblaster S1 General Midi daughterboard. It's sitting in a modern-ish case though. It has an S3 Virge Video Card. It uses an IDE > CF Adapter for its boot drive.

I then had the bug and installed Win98SE on an AMD Fujitsu Esprimo machine (E5616).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What about a GeForce 2 GTS?

Bit too new for me as I already have a 4 series for DX 8 games.

I ordered a TNT2 Pro (luckily I got suspicious of all the "M64" names appearing and learned that they're the slower version!) today for £12. It's passive, and it will be a bit strange having a 'mostly' passive PC.

I may end up selling my backup 7970 and using the money (and space) to get a Voodoo 3 + 2D??? as I understand that is the done thing!

The game collection is building now but is lacking a couple a few some many most classics and what I bought is all a lot newer than I originally intended...

6PQQrN7.jpg.png

Soldato
OP
After watching LGR and Phil's Computing Lab, I put together a semi-retro machine...

Nice! I think someone here told me that a CF card would make the storage pretty nippy (similar to a new HDD PC). That just sounded a bit too complicated for me ;) I was going to go for a SB Live! but decided to save a few quid and stick with the CMI8738 that was in the donor PC and spend the money on games!

Back
Top Bottom