"Windows Delayed write failure"

Associate
Hi,

When I load into Windows, after a short while I get the message:

" Windows was unable to save all the data for the file G:\$Bitmap. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save elsewhere."

My G drive is a new 320GB Seagate SATA drive that I bought a month ago from Overclockers
When, this happens then I can't do anything with that drive. I can't even see it in device manager. Though, when I check in BIOS it is still listed.

Could this be a Windows fault? or possibly a hardware defect?

Cheers

Associate
Make sure you have good SATA drivers installed, as it could be them. However if you have anything other drives on the SATA ports, then its more than likely the the harddrive that has failed and needs replacing.

I would say 70-80% that the harddrive needs replacing.

Soldato
Check SpeedFan's Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) tab & report back here what it says :)

Also, how many drives do you have in there? Because could be a power supply issue :cool:

Associate
Toytown said:
Make sure you have good SATA drivers installed, as it could be them. However if you have anything other drives on the SATA ports, then its more than likely the the harddrive that has failed and needs replacing.

I would say 70-80% that the harddrive needs replacing.

you need sata drivers?

sorry to be a noob but i have a sata 2 drive sat at home which im waiting to install sometime this week, i have never used sata before and i thought i just enabled sata in bios, changed the boot order and robert was your mothers brother?

now im scared.... rofl

mobo is an Asus A8NE ( i think lol)

Skal.

Last edited:
Soldato
Skalaberg said:
you need sata drivers?

sorry to be a noob but i have a sata 2 drive sat at home which im waiting to install sometime this week, i have never used sata before and i thought i just enabled sata in bios, changed the boot order and robert was your uncles brother?

now im scared.... rofl

Skal.
On some older mobos you will need to reinstall Windows, have SATA drivers ready on a floppy & hit F6. Newer ones can set the drive to IDE mode, but taking a performance hit (need someone to clarify that) :)

Soldato
Skalaberg said:
for what its worth I intalled the new seagate sata 2 drive last night....no drivers needed

very quiet it is too!!!!

Skal.
As the boot drive, i.e. with Windows? Because that's what I was referring to :o

Associate
OP
When I ran Speedfan it gave me:

Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked nVidia nForce3 250 SMBUS at $4C00
Linked nVidia nForce3 250 SMBUS at $4C40
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
IT8712F/IT8705F found on ISA at $290
SuperIO Chip=IT8712F
Scanning nForce2 SMBus at $4C00...
Scanning nForce2 SMBus at $4C40...
LM75 found on SMBus at $4E
SMART Enabled for drive 0
Found WDC WD800JB-00CRA1 (80.0GB)
SMART Enabled for drive 1
Found Maxtor 6Y120M0 (122.9GB)
Found ACPI temperature (40.0C)
End of detection

Doesn't look like my Seagate drive got detected... I have noticed that when I first boot up Windows I can do something like move over a file or delete something, then shortly after the noise that signals a USB device being connected/disconnected sounds and the error message i listed appears.

Back
Top Bottom