Windows update/Microsoft store updates

Associate
Hi Guys

I have a few windows updates that wont download and install.

Windows Intelligence Update
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - v5.122 (KB890830)
2023-11 Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057)
Creative Technology Ltd. - MEDIA - 1.16.4.26

I have performed an situ install of windows 11. This was a fresh windows install from Microsoft, yet the problems persist.

The windows store wont install any updates.

Any idea how I fix any of this?

Thank you

Associate
OP
Any ideas on this. I would rather not have to do a completely new install of Windows. Really frustrating, I have tried numerous online fixes, but none appear to work.

Associate
Are you getting an error message or does it just try to download over and over? I had a stuck update a few months back and got it to install by disabling the Windows update service (in services.msc), deleting C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution (can just rename it) then re-enabling the Windows update service.

Associate
OP
Thanks Paul, No errors in windows update it just sits there downloading at 0%. Button for "download and install all" is greyed out. I have tried all manner of fixes from shutting windows update service to checkdisk/scan disk/dism etc. I have just performed a clean restart of windows but to no avail. I have also done a resotre and repair system files process but nothing seems to be working.

I have just now performed a clean install, but retained apps/files etc. Again not working.

Microsoft store is producing an error code Code: 0x80131500. I have tried wsrest with this, but again no success. I cannot play any gamepass games at the moment because the app needs an update, which I cannot run.

I think the nuclear option will be a clean install of windows with all apps/files wiped. But would like to exhaust all other avenues first.

Man of Honour
I do not have that folder on my pc.
I assume you exposed the hidden / system folders?

No errors in windows update it just sits there downloading at 0%.
What about event viewer? On my PCs Windows update spams the log if it has a problem.

it just sits there downloading at 0%. Button for "download and install all" is greyed out.
Have you tried enabling/disabling the ability to download updates via the network, or other PCs?

I have tried all manner of fixes from shutting windows update service to checkdisk/scan disk/dism etc.
What about installing 22H2 and letting that upgrade to 23H2?

Associate
OP
Thanks Tetras.

System folders exposed, only hidden folder on c drive is $Windows.~WS.

Not sure what I am looking for in event viewer, nothing jumping out as an issue.

Not sure how to enable/disable download updates. Do you mean switching airplane mode on/off?

Im on version 23H2 so not sure I can go back a version.

Man of Honour
I've sometimes found using the media creation tool to create a Windows USB and using that to update, not install, the OS works for updates which otherwise get stuck. Unfortunately MS's whole updates implementation is rather special and doesn't give very useful errors or give you easy ways to stop or restart updates, etc.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your input guys. I have resolved my issues by re-installing, ridiculous that I had to go that route.

Fresh install of windows and updates working fine. Just need to re-install my apps/software.

Man of Honour
Not sure how to enable/disable download updates. Do you mean switching airplane mode on/off?
No. For future reference: windows update has an option where it not only downloads from Windows servers, but also from your network or other PCs. If you go to Windows Update > Advanced Options > Delivery Optimisation.

Soldato
What are M$ playing at? Seems they haven’t a notion these days tbh.

I remember having a nightmare with Windows fupdate on 7 too.

Eventually got it sorted but more work than should have been necessary.

Bill Gates need to get back to the helm and sort this all out :D

Back
Top Bottom