Windows XP OEM Help Needed!!!

Gux

Gux

Associate
Hey guys, it's my first time posting here and I need help with a couple of issues.;)

I am planing to upgrade my stoneage computer so I am investing into a new mobo, ram and cpu. I am currently using Windows XP Home Edition 32bit OEM version and I know that OEM version can only be used on a single computer. Micro$oft at it's best :rolleyes:

I have heard that it is possible to avoid buying new windows by calling microsoft up and telling them that my old motherboard has broken and they might give me a new product key. I would just like to know if this is actually possible or is it a BS story.

If this is possible, can I use my friends EOM CD and using my new product key to install the software or would there be problems?

Thx in Advance, I hope you understand my bad english :)

Associate
you should try installing windows xp and see if there is any problem once you change your hardware. I don't recall having any problems when i changed mobo, and installed vista oem again

Soldato
There isn't anything stopping you installing it on another computer. The disk won't remember it's been installed before.

However patches and updates could be blocked because you're not using a "legit" installation and therefore bill has no reason to give you any support.

Soldato
When you phone up and lie to them in this way they don't give you a new product key ... you get another long string which is used as part of the manual activation process.

It may well work but you'll be as licensed as if you downloaded off a torrent ....

If you can afford to get new hardware maybe you should consider on budgeting for a copy of Windows 7 as well ...

JSW

JSW

Associate
I have rang twice in the past and never had a problem, every time I build a new pc I do a fresh install or if I thinkI may of had a virus or malware I re install.

They give you a number to enter while on the phone and this resets the amount of times you can re install before needing to ring up again.

The first time I think I got 3 installs before needing to ring again.
The last time I must have got more as I've done 4 installs since and no probs.

JSW

JSW

Associate
it's illegal to use the same copy on two motherboards if you're simply upgrading

just buy Windows 7 Home Premium 64, XP is getting on a bit now

Not if your previous mobo blew up it isnt which is what happened to me. They do ask what happened and just want to be assured your not leaving your install intact on another pc while upgrading which is fair enough.

Edit: well it wasnt my mobo that went it was the PSU which took the mobo and cpu with it :(

Last edited:

JSW

JSW

Associate
Sorry didn't fully read the op post, being a bit naughty tbh dosn't even sound like he even has his own install cd

Gux

Gux

Associate
OP
it's illegal to use the same copy on two motherboards if you're simply upgrading

just buy Windows 7 Home Premium 64, XP is getting on a bit now

Well my old parts are going in the bin anyway, If I wanted to keep my old parts, I would need to invest into a new PSU,Case,hard-drive,DVD-rom,GPU etc.

Gux

Gux

Associate
OP
Sorry didn't fully read the op post, being a bit naughty tbh dosn't even sound like he even has his own install cd

No I haven't got the CD, since when I bought the computer from a PC shop they didn't give me one.

Gux

Gux

Associate
OP
What is your new spec?

You can download a Windows 7 trial here for free (90 day)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx

I like XP, but wouldn't put it on a new machine.

I am planing to get a PII 955, MSI 785GM-E51 & 2GB of RAM. I am not planing on doing any ocing. I am on a small budget that's why I am trying to save money by not buying any new software.

I might try and download windows 7, I heard good things about it, but If I had to buy 7 I would have to get a dua-core in order to fit into my budget. :(

Gux

Gux

Associate
OP
the 955 is already a quad core, and will support it fine.... no need to get intel?

Yeah I know it's a quad, I am saying if I will have to buy new windows that I wil have to downgrade to a dual-core, most likely to X2 550. I am not planing to go with intel, simply because AMD is cheaper and my old computer is amd and I have never had any problems with it, so I am a satisfied customer :D

Thx for help guys, I guess I am gonna call Micro$oft and see what will happen

Back
Top Bottom