Winter 2017/2018 - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
We've had a winter thread every year for the last 5? years and well every single time we get a forecast of something interesting in general it's been naff! Some snow here or there, but not a 2010 winter that's for damn sure :(

It's Autumn and Winter is fast approaching, will the white walkers make it or will will they stay beyond the wall? ;)

Caporegime
White walkers already made it here, although they retreated again. I think they’re regrouping for another assault in a couple of weeks.

Prediction for this winters UK weather. A little chilly, a little damp and a couple of inches of the white stuff for a few days, leading to four months of complaining about the gritters not being out to deal with the frost.

Man of Honour
Forecasts such as they are at this point mostly pointing towards damp and mild with some minor cold spells. Solar activity has generally been in decline which often seems to help the UK with colder winters but seems to be on a slight burst of activity at the moment.

I think it is going to be another winter that hangs on the edge - there are background signals for more extreme cold weather but it is probably going to be another winter where it comes close but just misses the conditions needed.

EDIT: Siberian snow cover is coming along already quite a bit which can be a factor in whether we get cold and snowy winters - especially last few days its picked up quite a bit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Same as always for here: Cold and clear with a few rainy days. No snow until February or maybe March. My neighbours will continue to whine about ice on their car windscreens employing all sorts of techniques to try and counter it. I'll still see them scraping away at it with a credit card (yes really) while I drive away with a heated front screen :D

Soldato
After a google i came up with "The history of British winters"

1) London is last mentioned in 2002/2003. Previously it is mentioned in 1962/1963

2) The Thames is last mentioned in 1837/1838

Everywhere else in the world is nothing in comparison to the dream of a winter in London!

I for one would like to see the Thames freeze over.

Soldato
After a google i came up with "The history of British winters"

1) London is last mentioned in 2002/2003. Previously it is mentioned in 1962/1963

2) The Thames is last mentioned in 1837/1838

Everywhere else in the world is nothing in comparison to the dream of a winter in London!

I for one would like to see the Thames freeze over.
Thames will be unlikely to ever freeze again unless we go into another ice age. It used to freeze over much easier before as the old bridges restricted the flow.

Soldato
What do you mean winter is coming, up here in Edinburgh we are still awaiting summer. There has been an appalling lack of sunshine up here in fact I will go so far as to say i do not think we have had two days without rain.
If memory serves and at 63 that is not always guaranteed, we had drier and sunnier months during the winter of 2016/2017.

Associate
Winter will be warmer than average which is the opposite of most summers. It'll rain, rain and rain some more, and very strange people will rejoice in all this. :p;)

Soldato
What about the upcoming storm season? These wet, mild winters sometimes have 1 a week. I still find it a bit awkward when "breeze Keith" makes the headlines along with picture of a tree down on the B3481 and some plastic flapping around having been caught up on some scaffolding.

Caporegime
What’s with all the nutters wishing for Arctic conditions? Mild winters are great. Haven’t got to spend four months freezing my cods off and what’s more, milder weather is less of a strain on public services, better for the economy and not as many poor old people die of pneumonia and whatnot.

Soldato
Thames will be unlikely to ever freeze again unless we go into another ice age. It used to freeze over much easier before as the old bridges restricted the flow.

It also used to freeze over because it got cold, something that doesn't happen anymore. Temperatures were 2-3 degrees cooler than today on average in the 17th century it may have been 6-7 degrees colder. Theres a painting somewhere of the Thames frozen over with huge blocks of ice in it something you see in somewhere like Canada today.

What’s with all the nutters wishing for Arctic conditions? Mild winters are great. Haven’t got to spend four months freezing my cods off and what’s more, milder weather is less of a strain on public services, better for the economy and not as many poor old people die of pneumonia and whatnot.

Damp is really bad for chest conditions. And I'll take a nice crisp frost over miserable, drab, damp grey skies anyday.

Soldato
It also used to freeze over because it got cold, something that doesn't happen anymore. Temperatures were 2-3 degrees cooler than today on average in the 17th century it may have been 6-7 degrees colder. Theres a painting somewhere of the Thames frozen over with huge blocks of ice in it something you see in somewhere like Canada today.

Even if it managed to get as cold as it used to it wouldn't freeze. It would have to get much colder!

Man of Honour
Probably the same as the last couple of years. Comparing this year to last year the temps are similar for the past two months but we have had a hell of a lot more rain in August and September than the same months last year. The rain has been more intense as well which reached a peak of 44.4mm in one hour back in August. Never seen rain like that before. It's probably going to be yet another mild, very wet winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom