Winter Olympics 2018

Soldato
Seems a bit miserable that there is no 4Khdr delivery in the UK (as there wasn't for preceeding olympics), just in the the USA with NBC/directv, are there any VPN solutions ?
whathifi have usual clickbait article internally saying BBC has not decided .. but they would have said by now.

Only seems to be Mike Pence attending the opening so will not have Trump/Malenia bumping into Kim Yo Jong

Soldato
out of interest
maybe it is not a reliable web site - anyone got a good one ? ... first law of fight club ...

After the 'Tropical Olympics' in Sochi in 2014 and the similarly unseasonably warm, temperatures in BC at the start to the Vancouver Games in 2010 which led to a convoy of trucks bringing snow to Cypress Mountain for freestyle events at the start of the Olympics there, the weather for the 2018 Games is as big a concern as ever with athlete hoping for clear conditions and cold temperatures.

The first events are still four days away but currently the signs are pretty good. Long range forecasts which cover the entire Olympic period show little or no fresh snow expected until just after the games end, and then only 5 or 6cm.

South Korea does not get much natural snowfall and the games have spent many millions on the latest snowmaking systems from Technoalpin, so hopefully the snow will not be a problem this time.

Temperatures are perhaps a little warmer than Olympic competitors might like, set to reach plus temperatures in the afternoon but dropping below zero most days from late afternoon through to the following late morning. Of course forecasts beyond this weekend are subject to change.

South Korean ski areas do not seem to have any tradition of publishing live snow data in the way that European and North American ski areas do. The best it seems possible to get are temperatures and web cam images – from the latter slopes seem to have a good snow cover, if not a deep one, which is the south Korean norm.

The Olympic venues are nine hours ahead of the UK so the blue ribbon Men's Downhill taking placed at 11am on Sunday in South Korea will be on UK TV (BBC and Eurosport) at 2am Sunday morning. Most other eventys will take place in the small hours of the morning for UK-based viewers.

ok you do not want too much snow, but skiing on artificial snow is different (maybe there are better machines)

Caporegime
out of interest
maybe it is not a reliable web site - anyone got a good one ? ... first law of fight club ...

ok you do not want too much snow, but skiing on artificial snow is different (maybe there are better machines)

It doesn't make a difference because for ski racing the snow is injected with water and often other chemicals to make it into a completely icy, frozen, hard as concrete and pretty much horrific surface for most skiers.

Soldato
Thanks had not realised howmuch it is compacted

https://mobile.steinbach-alpin.com/.../Downloads/steinbach_presseinformation_en.pdf
gender based prep interesting ...

25310636167_7d90a56f8b_o_d.jpg

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/slick-science-making-olympic-snow-and-ice-180968014/
Fortunately, that isn't the worry in PyeongChang, where February wind chill commonly hovers in the single digits. In fact, temperatures might even drop below optimum conditions for some sports: For bobsled, Seitz says, in temperatures well below 23 degrees Farenheit, the ice is extra brittle. For cross-country skiing, says Konrad, the "happy temperature" is around 25 degrees Fahrenheit; any colder and snow becomes dry and slow.

Soldato
On BBC If you saw Graham Bell (ex medalist) sking the downhill course with a camera in one hand (gyro gimble), to present the course, that was impressive,
made me think they should have cameras on some of the competitors too (like F1)

Soldato
What's wiwi the Olympic athletes from Russia I thought they lost that appeal. No point banning people associated with doping if u let them back in under a different name.

Caporegime
What's wiwi the Olympic athletes from Russia I thought they lost that appeal. No point banning people associated with doping if u let them back in under a different name.

They’re a specific group that are considered clean that can win medals for themselves, but not Russia. Most of the Russian Olympic team aren’t in that team.

Man of Honour
They’re a specific group that are considered clean that can win medals for themselves, but not Russia. Most of the Russian Olympic team aren’t in that team.

The OAR team is the third largest at the Winter Olympics and it's a bit of a tricky situation because while the aim is clearly not to punish clean athletes the decision was made that Russia was guilty of state sponsored doping and should be banned from competition. It does seem a trifle pointless to ban the nation if they can still send the third biggest delegation albeit under a "neutral" banner. Then you've got the question of what to do if/when they win medals and at least one of them has made the point that "I dedicate this medal to all guys that have been excluded from these Games in such a hard and unfair way." - which on the face of it looks rather like a political statement in direct contravention of the guidelines under which they're allowed to take part. Interestingly the athlete in question also tested positive for meldonium before being exonerated due to his test levels being below the accepted level - perhaps he was left with a background level if he took it prior to the ban?

I'm watching bits and pieces of the Winter Olympics but struggling to get into it a little.

Soldato
Fully agree with that.. Its Russia that needs to be punished by blanket banning its athletes. Not allowing potential cheats to compete without Russia benefiting from the acolades. Its stupid.

Soldato
Yea it's neither here nor there... Most (if not all) of those athletes will still be benefitting from the Russian federations so hasn't really stopped their athletes competing. I'm sure many of those athletes are clean but I wouldn't be surprised if some have been part of the systematic doping even if they aren't now.

Soldato
saw some of the womens slopestyle, after hearing interview with Aimee Fuller (UK), with the wind, looked extremely dangerous - why did they not cancel, or the competitors bouycott it ? - they did not seem to present data like for moguls where they showed gust strengths at different points of course,
they could have allowed abort/re-runs if the gusts were out of spec.

I guess they have some spine protection, but even so.

Soldato
Seems a bit miserable that there is no 4Khdr delivery in the UK (as there wasn't for preceeding olympics), just in the the USA with NBC/directv, are there any VPN solutions ?
whathifi have usual clickbait article internally saying BBC has not decided .. but they would have said by now.

That's amusing because when I browse past americans talking about the 2018 winter olympics it's all about how they are getting screwed with the poor coverage of the sports and sharing how to VPN the BBC coverage.

Caporegime
Yea it's neither here nor there... Most (if not all) of those athletes will still be benefitting from the Russian federations so hasn't really stopped their athletes competing. I'm sure many of those athletes are clean but I wouldn't be surprised if some have been part of the systematic doping even if they aren't now.

I don’t think anyone really cares if they benefitted financially from Russia, or used their coaches. The issue is the drugs. As long as there’s clear evidence they didn’t take drugs then there’s no reason they shouldn’t be able to compete.

It’s about not penalizing those athletes that were playing by the rules, while still being hard on any that may not have.

Back
Top Bottom