Wireless CarPlay / Android Auto

GeX

GeX

Soldato
What's everyone using to add wireless to a wired system?

Looking around on YouTube for reviews I just keep finding Carlinkit, a lot of the reviews seemed paid tho (also the different versions seem odd, one looks like it wraps Android Auto in CarPlay.. huh) - so I'm looking for actual recommendations.

I need it to be able to do CarPlay and Android Auto well as my wife and I will use it and we use different platform phones.

My car only has MirrorLink and CarPlay so I bought the Carlinkit 4.0 adapter today to hook my Android phone up. It worked great first time, then I did an update and must have bricked it as no lights came on after. I should have the replacement tomorrow to test properly.

I found CarPlay Life on Youtube was a great source for reviews.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeX
Whilst wireless is fine... i have found i still need to have my phone plugged in to keep it topped up. especially on long trips.
Thankfully my bmw has a wireless charger in the arm rest, so I have a spare iPhone in there doing ONLY carplay. and its forever charged.
Why is it you want wireless?

Because I'm lazy, and have a wireless charger in the centre console too. I have a spare iPhone I could leave there.. but it'd be in view when the car is parked.. so maybe not

Just tested my new one with a spare iPhone and it worked perfectly, however annoyingly now I can't get my Samsung to work. It just sits there saying connecting.

pOzhErol.jpg

Maybe I’m in the minority but I actually prefer wired CarPlay. Three reasons:

1. My iPhone 12 Pro Max battery isn’t the best any more so keeps it topped up.
2. Doesn’t overheat when using music and navigation
3. The wife and I share our cars and wireless CarPlay on the beemer just couldn’t work out that my profile should connect to my phone and the wife’s profile should connect to hers.

Indeed, I have wireless charging built in. Seems quite common on here these days where people don’t really read what’s been posted rather they’re just frothing to post their opinion.

I mean, I thought I was quite clear about asking what people use to add wireless CarPlay - I don’t care that some people don’t like wireless

does the older carlinkit support all the features of latest android auto coolwalk ?
I'd be a bit suspicious it can map all android auto into car play commands(complete toolkit duality - yeh), or that re-encoding android auto sound for car-play doesn't compromise quality ...
so version 5.0 , seems most logical.

(above all, I want good audio quality from android running tidal which mean universal audio player to avoid the android re-sampler and then external dac on phone - then into the car aux/digital input)

carplay AI boxes look an interesting step up from from the basic carlinkit boxes
so it has a 4g sim card and could run music streaming, nav, even voip apps, natively without even needing your mobile phone. - m if you keep an old phone in the car suppose it is similar.

( doesn't address improving android audio quality though - this is what uapp is johhny
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb...quitous-usb-audio-support-for-android.704065/ )

I looked into adding a wireless adaptor for the wife's xceed to use her iPhone wirelessly instead of with a cable but most of the reviews are fake and all the real ones say they died after a few months.

I've got the Carlinkit in my 2017 Golf - works well. Takes about 10 seconds to connect - but then works as if wired. The only caveat is the delay in response time, it's only minor but noticeable. I've got used to it now, but worth noting if that's the sort of thing that bothers you.

Back
Top Bottom