• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Without Abuse... Anyone got their 2900 xt's yet??

Associate
OP
LOL

the game ended with a nuke being dropped (in the benchmark utility)
but then as the game was ending it crashed!!

thats probly the early software tho
i will try and update!

also 3dmark06 is 600MB lol
and its downloading at 20KB/s

grrrr

got to go pick up my car from the garage
ill be bak to resume in about 30mins!!

Associate
Dan2kx said:
LOL

the game ended with a nuke being dropped (in the benchmark utility)
but then as the game was ending it crashed!!

thats probly the early software tho
i will try and update!

also 3dmark06 is 600MB lol
and its downloading at 20KB/s

grrrr

got to go pick up my car from the garage
ill be bak to resume in about 30mins!!

Hurry, deciding whether to buy before 1pm!!!
edit: looking like a No for a few weeks atleast, before some drivers come out, but my x1950 pro doesn't like 2x 1680x1050 gaming

Caporegime
its quiet without drivers at least, it didn't even roar into life as computer booted as most cards do, it booted very quietly, installing drivers right now :p

its sitting in windows very quietly at the moment.

also i don't know whats with some people, ok some fans might be different but i could barely hear a gts or gtx with fan at around 40-50% anything above that i can hear theres a different pitch noise coming from computer(120mm fans are low pitch, when that small fan cranks up you can hear the higher pitch and the fan easily). at 100% the gts and gtx aren't insanely loud, but certainly louder than rest of my fans by a margin.

rebooting now, thought i'd say that as internet works, no clue if its going out, rents are arguing with bulldog on the phone :p

Soldato
drunkenmaster said:
its quiet without drivers at least, it didn't even roar into life as computer booted as most cards do, it booted very quietly, installing drivers right now :p

its sitting in windows very quietly at the moment.

also i don't know whats with some people, ok some fans might be different but i could barely hear a gts or gtx with fan at around 40-50% anything above that i can hear theres a different pitch noise coming from computer(120mm fans are low pitch, when that small fan cranks up you can hear the higher pitch and the fan easily). at 100% the gts and gtx aren't insanely loud, but certainly louder than rest of my fans by a margin.

Everyone is different when it comes to noise. I think that 18Db is loud, although my PC is almost next to me. Ive always found that the Nvidia 8800 series are very quiet. Ive also had an x1800/x1900xt which I found to loud and had to replace the cooler.

Looking forward to what you think of the card :)

Last edited:
Associate
It sits in windows quietly, fired up Total War 2 and could play it maxed at 1680x1050 but its LOUD. Also installing it seems to have somehow nuked my motherboard drivers :rolleyes: .

Caporegime
i would say 8800 quieter than x1900xt's noticeably at maximum, but both at 40-50% fan are very quiet.

in windows, gpu clock tool is monitoring at 52C, fan is quiet, only on a few minutes though as i fiddled with some other stuff. gonna run 3dmark in 2 secs and see what happens with noise and temps when i get out. then well, i've had the card a good half hour, its been in the comp for 20 mins, i think its had long enough at default speed right? right?

Caporegime
just ran 3dmark, walked off to talk to rents RE bulldog, line may or now might not be dying today, who knows :(

anyway, walked back in right at the end, it was louder but nothing dreadful at all. instantly 3dmark stopped fan went back to default/silent, only a 10780 score with 3.4Ghz conroe(i think i just downclocked it a little, couple crashes since i put it back to 3.6Ghz), but default options in drivers and stuff. not great, not bad at all though. gonna try ati tool and see if fan control works, though guessing not it might do, you never know.

overdrive i think doesn't appear at all without the 8pin pci-e , or i assume so as i canne see it anywhere :p using the new downloaded drivers, not the 8.36's on cd.

so far with every generation of gfx cards yet fan at 100% speed is overly noisy and only makes 1-2C difference compared to a hugely quieter 70-80% speed. considering the noise at well, whatever level it was at, and the gpu tool monitoring and saying it only hit 71c under full load i would think theres deffo some leway there for adjusting fan speed a little for quietness and still fine operating temps.

that thing on , was it guru3d about "the fan kicked back in at 100% when it hit 100C", they turned the fan to the very lowest setting, which is basically no airflow, and it can't cool passively at all due to being shrouded. it was freaking irresponsible to post that as, i've done the same with the 8800gtx, well i put the fan speed down to 25-30% or whatever for the ultimate quiet and the temps started to steadily increase, i think stock the cards are similar, load temps so far are higher on the 8800gtx(though the fan here is slightly louder, but again also because i slowed the gtx fan down a little aswell).
its just stupid to post info like that in a review because they are trying to say its loud, because they essentially tried to cool a covered heatsink passively for a while and it failed, the fan is next to silent in windows and i would guess this will be the standard 40-50% fan speed, gtx's also heat up if you turn the fan to minimum, neither are designed to be run like that, but to point out specifically that the 2900xt overheats without any cooling. its overly attacking the card for no reason.

Caporegime
now for some reason, putting mipmaps to high performance decreased the score, though its always been the standard to get the max score out of any card before, weird.

as for temps and sound, there sounds and appears to only be 2 settings for fan speed, afaik in these drivers at least watching temps on 2nd monitor with 3dmark going, it stays completely silent for a while into the benchmark with temps increasing, not hugely fast, to 70c, fan kicks in at full speed a few seconds later, at which point temps drop for me to around 67/68c load, but the fan doesn't go back to a lower speed while 3d is still running, but inbetween tests, the very second the benchmark stops it drops to silent again. so what seems to be missing is inbetween fan settings that would be quieter and also probably, judging by temps i'm seeing, keep temps very low anyway. 68c load for a card these days is pretty low, so even at 10c high with a WAY quieter fan setting would be fine, and somewhere inbetween, few C higher and only a little more noise would be perfect.

Associate
OP
ive just updated supreme commander and am gettin the new ati drivers!

looking at the control cener at the overdrive page
it shows requested speeds and current speeds

looks like the card is throttled down whilst idle

OcUK Staff
drunkenmaster said:
now for some reason, putting mipmaps to high performance decreased the score, though its always been the standard to get the max score out of any card before, weird.

as for temps and sound, there sounds and appears to only be 2 settings for fan speed, afaik in these drivers at least watching temps on 2nd monitor with 3dmark going, it stays completely silent for a while into the benchmark with temps increasing, not hugely fast, to 70c, fan kicks in at full speed a few seconds later, at which point temps drop for me to around 67/68c load, but the fan doesn't go back to a lower speed while 3d is still running, but inbetween tests, the very second the benchmark stops it drops to silent again. so what seems to be missing is inbetween fan settings that would be quieter and also probably, judging by temps i'm seeing, keep temps very low anyway. 68c load for a card these days is pretty low, so even at 10c high with a WAY quieter fan setting would be fine, and somewhere inbetween, few C higher and only a little more noise would be perfect.

Hi there

Try some other drivers, because when I tested the card seemed to adjust in speed gradually whether faster or slower and not just between low and fast. Mine at the desktop was to me silent, whilst gaming the fan increased in speed but the noise level was more or less still silent but it was definetely spinning faster due to increased airflow out the back.

Associate
OP
im not too bothered about the noise really
its not that loud

and mine graduates at first then turns off again and so on
using cd drivers, just updating tho

Caporegime
Gibbo said:
Hi there

Try some other drivers, because when I tested the card seemed to adjust in speed gradually whether faster or slower and not just between low and fast. Mine at the desktop was to me silent, whilst gaming the fan increased in speed but the noise level was more or less still silent but it was definetely spinning faster due to increased airflow out the back.

yeah, tbh its not hugely loud either, its just louder than i'd like, but it would definately seem that the newish drivers are responsible looking at which reviews had sound issues, which didn't ( newest are some alpha's with the edge tent AA option, and some HDR improvements out, and hopefully they'll be beta soon enough and also have the fan speed steppings).

but 100% is miles, absolutely miles away from the 100% fan speed of a x1900xt/x and all the other "dustbuster" ish cards.

Ati tool see's nowt at all to change, rivatuner the same, though i've seen a post saying ati tool is getting close to working with overclocking on the 2900xt, so hopefully fan and other settings will be in there too. rivatuner gets few updates AFAIK so thats not likely anytime soon.

i've decided definately not to overclock Gibbo, its too risky, however my brother who ordered one to a different address just came back from uni this afternoon, and low and behold he ordered one aswell, so we'll overclock that one, but definately not my one ;) ¬_¬

Caporegime
well, back on y x1950pro, 2900xt doesn't like overclocking, pretty sparks.

joking, overclocking fine and stable on 2x6 pin pci-e. closed ati gpu tool so didn't see how much the max temp increased from overclocking, do'h, only did 800/865 anyway, got a fairly decent 600 point boost from that, which is a fairly small overclock.

Associate
OP
Dan2kx said:
ive just updated supreme commander and am gettin the new ati drivers!

looking at the control cener at the overdrive page
it shows requested speeds and current speeds

looks like the card is throttled down whilst idle

just updated the drivers and i am now experienceing the random bursts of fan speed, what i mensioned about the card throttling down isnt happening now so that is most likely the cause!

dont see the need for full power when idle...

Caporegime
hmm, i'm still not getting any speeding up/slowing down in 2d at all.

hit 840/900 fine, then i went straight to 865/950 i think and it did crash within the game, but no artifacts, was working for quite a while. might have been the CPU as even after crashing, reboot and my p5b-e having issues with high clocks crashing and wanting to be turned off for a while. so a good 1 minute since a proper load and in bios it hit 53c, you think maybe the closed window and electric fan was at fault?it didn't get hugely hotter under load at 840/900 3-4c, and even then that was down to the few seconds it needs past hitting 70c to kick the fan up to speed, then the temp came down again a little.

gonna find a film to watch, nick the rents laptop and **** around with clock settings while watching a film, have no patients for sitting around for ages rebooting, crashes and running benchmarks :p

Back
Top Bottom