1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woman guilty of 'racist' Snap Dogg rap lyric Instagram post

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by antijoke, Apr 20, 2018.

1. antijoke

Caporegime

So here is another daily dose of outrage....

Lol, tagged and community service for posting a song lyric online.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-43816921

2. Craterloads

Sgarrista

That’s just crazy, and one of the outrage threads I would actually agree with.

3. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Same. If it was literally a lyric quote.

4. antijoke

Caporegime

Apparently the lyric was "‘kill a snitch n**** and rob a rich n****.’" and was in her insta bio too.

5. antijoke

Caporegime

There's also this

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/woman-who-posted-rap-lyrics-14543694

6. Steedie

Man of Honour

I just googled that song out of curiosity, and the video literally has him shooting some old man and robbing him and how to get away with it, then in the next scene, him drive by shooting a group of kids...

I sound like my dad here but...no wonder we lived in such a messed up world

7. Diddums

Capodecina

8. Dis86

Capodecina

So...it's ok when a famous black person says it?

9. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Current laws are inadequate when it comes to the internet.

However, there are lots of works of art that may be quoted out of context to be offensive. That you are quoting such doesn't reduce the offence. It's not a free pass.

10. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Whom specifically was harmed as a consequence of this Instagram post. Was it aimed at an individual? I didn't see that in the BBC story. It didn't mention incitement to cause harm, and who would listen anyway. So she has literally been convicted of using offensive language in general not at someone just in general. Rap, I'd probably hate it. Lyrics sound offensive but I don't think offense is enough harm to criminalise and punish a teenager. This is not like Thought Crime, this is Thought Crime for pities sake what is happening to the World.

11. cheesyboy

Capodecina

In a private email, conversation, phone call, or letter, it would have been fine. But broadcasting on an open internet profile isn't. People just need to get their heads around the difference

12. dowie

Caporegime

Highlighting again that we need stronger free speech laws in this country - you've got some random black PC who has decided that either version of the n word is offensive when used by anyone and therefore they push to charge this person...

yes, in theory they could charge Jay Z or any number of rappers

she's literally just quoted someone else and put it on her Instagram -what if someone wants to report on that (whether a newspaper or a blogger) would they get charged for quoting the same phrase in order to report on it... banning language is just ridiculous

13. dowie

Caporegime

OK so should all rappers who use the word get charged?

14. cheesyboy

Capodecina

see my previous post about context

15. dowie

Caporegime

The context of a rapper using it is usually rather public, your previous post refers to private conversations...

so same question again...

at what point is it not ok - is it ok in the original song? Is it OK in a youtube video? Is it OK to quote the lyrics of the full song in the description of the youtube video...

but it is not ok to quote part of the lyrics... all you've commented on is that it was posted publicly but that doesn't really address what I brought up

16. CREATIVE!11

Soldato

HAHAHAHHHHAHA

.......... what?

17. cheesyboy

Capodecina

it's a song, an artistic piece.

Out of context, it's just an offensive statement on the internet.

18. PlacidCasual

Soldato

I disagree strongly, if offensive language had been aimed specifically at an individual or a vulnerable group I would accept that offensive words cause harm. General non-specific sue of offensive words requires in my opinion a much higher threshold to demonstrate harm such as might be justified by incitement to do harm. If that is missing then I feel it is a massive over reaction to criminalise people. I might personally think less of person that said that but convict and punish, ridiculous. I think more harm has been done to this young woman than she has done through her post. The punishment is utterly disproportionate with the so called crime.

19. dowie

Caporegime

yes I know it is a song, an artistic piece... you're not presenting an argument there you're making a statement

Why is it out of context? It isn't unusual to have someone quote some lyrics or a saying or a snippet of some speech, poetry etc.. on social media, especially on Instagram...

20. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Would it be ok as a bumper sticker? a t-shirt logo? a flag in your garden? I feel it wouldn't, really.