Woman guilty of 'racist' Snap Dogg rap lyric Instagram post

Caporegime
the defence quoted urban dictionary in court... because it was the 'a' ending rather than the 'er' ending used - in some ways perhaps a fair point but also quite amusing that urban dictionary is being cited in a UK court :D

Soldato
yes you've consistently said it is about context, even when your reply doesn't even address the point being made and now ironically you're calling me stupid
Man's performing epic feats of mental gymnastics. He's going for the unobtainium medal.

Associate
I've listened to hip-hop and rap since I was 10 years old. I'm white and in my 40s. I still wouldn't use the N word in public, even though I will happily song (rap along whatever) in my car by myself.

Music is only offensive I'd it's played in the wrong context. But I wouldn't slap the lyrics on a meme or facebook.

I was strolling thru town today, it's hot and there's some buff muscly dude crossing the road in front of me with his shirt off. He's got a big swastika tattoo on his chest, 2in thick bars so you can work out how big that is. no one bats an eye.

World's gone crazy.

Caporegime
"When Something happens in South Central Los Angles nothing happens, it's just another ***** dead"

A song lyric that could easily be used as as say a reaction to a police shooting, BLM type stuff... but I guess (given this judgement) in the UK it could also now be hate speech that gets you a fine, a curfew and a tag.

Caporegime
In a private email, conversation, phone call, or letter, it would have been fine. But broadcasting on an open internet profile isn't. People just need to get their heads around the difference

But an internationally released rap song is fine?

Why is dogg not being prosexuted?

Caporegime
The UK police and judiciary make the nazi party look liberal by comparison. This country has regressed so much since the turn of the 21st century, I wonder if posterity will remember the early 2000s as the last days of freedom?

Caporegime
The UK police and judiciary make the nazi party look liberal by comparison. This country has regressed so much since the turn of the 21st century, I wonder if posterity will remember the early 2000s as the last days of freedom?

For some reason I remember a thread on here back in the early 2000's where we were all laughing at China for their internet censorship and yet today it is considered a normal part of western life. People often wonder how German's were duped by the Nazi's, it's not like they just flip a switch and turn everyone Nazi it's a steady downhill process where bad stuff becomes normal.

As for the topic once again it's a bit bizarre that a music artist is allowed to disseminate 'offensive' lyrics to millions and yet people quoting them is a crime.

Caporegime
So...it's ok when a famous black person says it?

Yes it is.

The amount of white kids who don't seem to understand they aren't allowed to use that word is obscene.

I'd like to see them use that word outside of their comfort zone in somewhere like brooklyn. But just because they are in the UK surrounded by other white kids they seem to think it's okay as it's rap.

Only coloured people are allowed to use it. White people no. Simples.

Caporegime
Yes it is.

The amount of white kids who don't seem to understand they aren't allowed to use that word is obscene.

I'd like to see them use that word outside of their comfort zone in somewhere like brooklyn. But just because they are in the UK surrounded by other white kids they seem to think it's okay as it's rap.

Only coloured people are allowed to use it. White people no. Simples.

No no. The whole point of racial equality is all races are equal. This means all laws and judgements apply equally to all races. Either a word is offensive or it is not. It is not offensive just because someone of a different race says it.

Caporegime
No no. The whole point of racial equality is all races are equal. This means all laws and judgements apply equally to all races. Either a word is offensive or it is not. It is not offensive just because someone of a different race says it.

The word was and is still used by white people as a derogatory word towards coloured people.

The fact some coloured rappers use it in their music as a form of expression doesn't mean it's okay to use by anybody.

It's pretty obvious it is an offensive word regardless of who is using it. However it's use in rap is different by the context. It's why no (successful) white rappers use the word.

Back
Top Bottom