Women's World Cup 2019 Thread

Soldato
Houghton has saved England's bacon a few times because of sloppy play. 3-0 up and could have been more, but a better team could well have a couple of goals.

Soldato
She's a brilliant player that Bronze, seen her quite a few times, not just this world cup, I've not seen a better female player. Very impressed with her ability, easily the best right back in the woman's game, might even be the best player in the world.

Man of Honour
She's a brilliant player that Bronze, seen her quite a few times, not just this world cup, I've not seen a better female player. Very impressed with her ability, easily the best right back in the woman's game, might even be the best player in the world.

Couple of the players including the captain played with great vision and awareness that would have been a credit to any player at any level or gender.

Overall some sloppiness at times and some moments when they reverted to England style passively playing the ball back but some great creativity and linked up play as well which has been sorely lacking in the England men's teams of late.

Caporegime
So there have been murmurs about equal pay for women's football. To me they'd have to draw equal crowds first.

I've looked at some of the highlights and frankly, the standard isn't anywhere near men's football (yet).

Maybe in a couple years when women's football has had time to develop and the standard improved (a lot).

But asking for equal pay with the blokes is a joke atm. The standard isn't there and the crowds aren't there. The female goalkeepers especially seem to just be really afraid of getting hurt, so they aren't throwing themselves around like male GKs are expected to.

I know it's a sport in its infancy and suffered from some incredibly poor decisions from the likes of the FA historically. But it's got some way to go to be as appealing as the men's game.

But perhaps it can get there eventually.

Soldato
So there have been murmurs about equal pay for women's football. To me they'd have to draw equal crowds first.

I've looked at some of the highlights and frankly, the standard isn't anywhere near men's football (yet).

Maybe in a couple years when women's football has had time to develop and the standard improved (a lot).

But asking for equal pay with the blokes is a joke atm. The standard isn't there and the crowds aren't there. The female goalkeepers especially seem to just be really afraid of getting hurt, so they aren't throwing themselves around like male GKs are expected to.

I know it's a sport in its infancy and suffered from some incredibly poor decisions from the likes of the FA historically. But it's got some way to go to be as appealing as the men's game.

But perhaps it can get there eventually.
The equal pay thing is mostly a US issue. In the US, the women's team actually generates more revenue than their men's side. And yet they are paid less for international callups. Seems straight up unfair, right?

Now, some of those figures are a bit squiffy, like that 'revenue' figure seemingly being down to ticket sales only; the women playing more games (hence more ticket sales); and then the comparative pay being compared on a per-game basis (so the per-game-pay multiplies more for the women).

But, in any case, it's not really a thing outside of US - that's the only broadly comparable market between men's and women's football.

Soldato
But there's definitely some exceptional women players. That strike from Bronze last night easily matches the best of any male player.
The strike itself was decent but it was right above the keepers head, was never going in against a competent keeper. You're also high AF if you think that matches the likes of McGinn or Townsend's strikes this season. Hell half of Sheffield Wednesday's goals this season were better hit than that.

Last edited:
Soldato

Bronze is great but probably the third best

Id argue that silver and gold are better

Man of Honour
Got to say neither of these teams look like they'd trouble the England team of last night - aside from maybe the US team looks like they are in a better condition fitness wise.

Soldato
How the hell did USA get to be the best team anyway? Americans don't even play football.

Pure guesswork but I'd guess it's because there isn't nearly the options in womens sport over there that there is for the men. If you're a decent male college athlete you've got NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL as the big 4 to aim for Soccer is probably a distant 5th. Women on the other hand there's WNBA but beyond that not a lot, USA have been a force in womens soccer for like 20 years.

Soldato
How the hell did USA get to be the best team anyway? Americans don't even play football.

Girls football is massive in schools and colleges, as Psycho states there isn't the level of options as there is for boys. They've been the best in the world for a long time now and other countries are playing catch up (only Germany I think have a comparable record).

Back
Top Bottom