Wonky PSU?

Associate
Pc specs;

6700k @4.5ghz (have also tried this at stock)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Samsung SM961 Polaris 256GB
Asus Maximus VIII Hero Intel Z170
Asetek 240mm 570LX
XFX Rx480 gtr black (I did have it undervolted slightly, but current at stock settings)
Corsair G3 650w

Pcs been running fine for a few months now, but over the past 10 days or so playing when playing Scrap Mechanic the pc will randomly reboot, and today it's been doing it as soon as I open the game and get to the start menu.

I only have a couple of games on there, GTA V which I play the most has been absolutely fine.

I've had hwmonitor open which Scrap mechanic opens up, temps all seem fine. I can turn the pc on and start up the game within a few minutes and it'll reboot.

I received this message last week, I did have it plugged into an surge protector with my laptop, so thinking that might have been the issue, now have it plugged directly into the wall, but I got the same message today.

I've checked and rechecked all connections, they're all okay.
I've removed the GPU and the game opens, but I guess that's down to removing the GPU, and there not being as much load of the PUS. Unfortunately I don't have another GPU to try.

The only other PSU I have is an old 430w, according the coolermaster psu calculator load is 357w and 407w psu is recommended, so that might be okay to try?

Anyone recommend me something else to try?

Soldato
I'd try the spare PSU, should be fine for testing purposes, it's not like you are burn testing, you're just trying to rule out a faulty PSU under normal loads.

Associate
OP
Sooooo, I ran realbench, got called away for a few minutes came back and it had restarted and was back on the desktop. Checked event viewer and it said something about kernel power.
Got the gopro out, setup to record the screen with hwmonitor, cpuz and gpuz going, 1 hour test and all fine.
Played scrap mechanic, fine.

I hate these type of problems where you can reproduce them reliably..

I've got the other PSU out and ready to try if it happens again, which I hope it does tbh.

Associate
OP
The pc restarted again. So I swapped over the psu, but now the screen has gone black a few times, I'm not sure if this is down to the old psu which must be 6/7 years old now or the GPU/driver.
But it's the first time the screen has gone black.

I've now put the GPU in another pc so will see what happens.. am also going to try different monitor, cables etc.

Fun.

Associate
That message would most likely (I'm not 100% sure here) come up with power surges between the PSU and the motherboard, so there might be issues with the PSU that means that it might be on the way out.

If you still can't get to run properly with the older 430W unit with the GPU installed is to get another PSU that can cope and if that works without triggering the anti-surge system on the motherboard, then that will confirm that the corsair PSU is faulty and should be RMAed.

Associate
OP
Associate
Bit of a random one. Have you installed the standoffs that come with your case to separate the motherboard mounting holes from your case? I had a grounding issue which caused a similar problem to yours. Fixed by reseating the motherboard on these standoffs and screwing back in.

Back
Top Bottom