PC restarting when a playing game.

Associate
I posted this other day in the PSU section.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/wonky-psu.18776947/

I currently have the 650w and RX480 in an old PC, ran realbench, 3dmark and played scrap mechanic last night for a couple of hours, all completely fine.

I now have the older 430w psu in my newer PC and am running memtest, although an hour in and no errors.

I'm going to tolerate the wonderful FPS using the intel graphics, play some games and see what happens.

Anyone any ideas what it could be?

Associate
OP
I'm certainly not PC expert, but the CPU never goes above 65c and the GPU 75c, HWmonitor shows a bunch of other temps but they're not massively different over cold boot temps.

I have read that you can turn off the surge protection, but that just seems like a wallpaper over a cracked wall type of thing to me.

Been reading the asus forum and looks like the newest bios is good one, I've read people having problems with previous releases so will upgrade and see.

Also it's just dawned on me that the windows creators update came out and installed the day before/same day as I started having problems........... I'll put the PSU and GPU back in the newer pc and roll back to a previous windows build. It better not be that I'd look like a complete moron. :p

Associate
i had probs like this a few times. Solved it by taking the side of the case off. I have a ft03 and love it! - Now have a Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC 2000RPM PWM 140mm High Performance Fan blowing up and over my system

if it works for you, then you know - heat issue, i would go to say this is quite common, bad ventilation, or fan set up!

The heat builds up whilst gaming and if it cannot dissipate quick enough then this issue can arise, even it does not whilst bench marking!

Associate
OP
I have 3 intakes, plus 1 more blowing straight up at the GPU and 3 exhaust, the intakes are set to quite high RPM, so I don't think its a heat issue, but will certainly try without the side on.

There is a bios update, I'll do that after I've put the GPU and PSU back in.
Actually I'll refit the parts and see if it restarts again, also want to check out different video drivers.

Soldato
your power supply is not putting out enough power, you will likely need another psu of 650w for testing as the 430 might not cut it either, id also reseat the graphics card or take it out all together and either use onboard if it has it or get a cheap graphics card and test your 650w again as well as the 430.

Associate
I have 3 intakes, plus 1 more blowing straight up at the GPU and 3 exhaust, the intakes are set to quite high RPM, so I don't think its a heat issue, but will certainly try without the side on.

There is a bios update, I'll do that after I've put the GPU and PSU back in.
Actually I'll refit the parts and see if it restarts again, also want to check out different video drivers.

Any joy?

Associate
OP
your power supply is not putting out enough power, you will likely need another psu of 650w for testing as the 430 might not cut it either, id also reseat the graphics card or take it out all together and either use onboard if it has it or get a cheap graphics card and test your 650w again as well as the 430.

Yer I tried the 430w with the GPUbut after the screen going black and few times I put it down to the old PSU not being powerful enough so took out the GPU, it all ran fine then.
I put the GPU and 650w PSU in an older pc and that ran fine also.

I only put the PSU and GPU back in pretty late last night, it was on for an hour playing a game and it was fine.
Both sides of the case were off, I need to refit a fan and tidy up the cabling and see what happens.

Maybe it was just a loose connection after all.

Associate
Experiment with your fans , you do not want them all fighting each other. First thing i do with any case is to throw out any HDD closure, i only use 2 drives. My case allows drives to be mounted behind m/board ' Silverstone FT03 '

Soldato
when you say older pc, do you mean different boards? your mobo its not working on could be failing or theres a virus or something else on that system causing restarts? what are the actual differences between your 2 systems? have you tried another hard drive and tried to install windows or any os on it?

it sounds more software or hardware related than flow of the fans

Associate
OP
Three fans at the front for intake, two top and one rear for exhaust.

Yer Exo, two entirely different PC's. The older one is a i3 530 8gb memory, h55 motherboard.

It's just restarted again after being fine for a couple of hours today, once restarted as soon as I load the game it restarts again.
Then I got no picture on the monitor, even though the XFX was lit up as well as a blue LED indicating power. I had to plug it into the on board hdmi, device manager of course not showing the RX480 being used.

So turned it off, mains power cable out, took the card out and put it back in again, turned it and I thought I heard a pop, so quickly turned it off..

Put the GPU into the older I3 PC, the XFX logo lights up for a second, then goes off that happens with both the 650w psu and 430w.

So I guess the GPU has finally given up.

Soldato
Before you decide the GPs is failing have you tried another card in the slot in case the slot if failing? You say they old so could happen, watching a Linus tech tip video of a challenge before, the one guy was having crashing issues and moved card to slower slot(was a gaming board with dual gpu slots) and was working, so that could be something to look at if your boards support dual?

Did you need to update drivers to play the game? Thinking might be worth trying the reinstalling of windows on another drive as I mentioned and reinstall the drivers or least the driver before recent one and see if the game will launch.

Associate
OP
I've tried the card in different slots yes, but I don't have a spare card to try.

But to me if the same GPU doesn't work, (no video out at all from the moment I turn the pc on) in two completely separate machines then it has to be the card?

Associate
OP
Just to update.

I received a reply from XFX saying that they too they card is faulty, so I've returned it to where I bought it for a refund.

Think I'll replace it with a 1070.

Associate
Curious, what driver version are you running.

I've had problems with my XFX RX480 GTR XXX too, off & on.

Found 17.3.3 can sometimes reboot once after a cold boot when doing any little thing or will happen some time after , then it's fine after that.
Took me going through several version installs to find this one most "stable". Seems loads think Wattman may be to blame on Reddit & other forums, even if you don't use it (which I don't).

Back
Top Bottom