Wordpress Theme Editors - Which one?!

Associate
Folks,

I have been surfing the World Wide Web from my IBM-compatible Personal Computer for quite a few years. Building systems, out of things bought from our hosts. Last week, i tried to build a web-site: a public profile for a new company. Holly shi-zzzz-le. Lost. Baffled.

Website building seems a frenetic and frantic world, where lots of people are trying to sell software. I stumbled into Namecheap, played around with the free Wordpress themes - and cannot make them look anything look decent.

I'm now awash in trying to choose between theme providers (Divi, Elementor, xxx). Is there not a Gold Standard approach to this - something akin to Photoshop for image editing etc? I tried searching the forum, but all i could see was detailed stuff about hosts - not really at this level right now!

All i need is a landing page - something a little more tasteful and individual that the generic "coming soon" ones scattered across the internet. The key thing is there are a particular set of fonts i am trying to upload.

In terms of technical ability, hardware is my favourite. I use Python for work, have tinkered with apps - and love graphic design stuff. For print! None of which seems to be helping with this simple bit of web design. Happy to learn a platform, but don't know which one it should be.

Equally, if this things starts moving, i will get a pro on the job. I just need something that looks smart whilst we talk to potential investors.....

Wondering if i should have gone with Square Space or something more off-the-shelf.....

Thoughts? Please!

Soldato
I am a WordPress dev so am able to help you out.
With regard to the first question. If all you want is a landing page and you already have a WordPress version installed on your hosting. Just install a plugin like WP Maintenance Mode. This gives you some easy options to change like the background, some are animated. The title, the text you want in it.
I wouldn't bother adding a page builder just to do a simple homepage/coming soon.

Secondly, what Font do you want to add? Is it a public font that you can use a script for like Google fonts? If so it's as easy and copying the script into the Head.php file on your hosting, If not you will have to download it, you will likely have to format the ttf/font file into a Woff format https://www.fontsquirrel.com/tools/webfont-generator
That site will do it for you..
You'll have to upload to your hosting and then get the url and add the following css into WordPress custom css menu.

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: myFirstFont;
  src: url(sansation_light.woff);
}

You would then set the particular heading or text your trying to change with (in this case heading 1 tags)
Code:
H1 {
 font-family: myFirstFont;
}

Alternatively again, I would also just go find a theme that looks exactly like I want it to from Theme Forest and just buy and upload that. It would likely come with a ton of lage templates to just add my own images into etc.
They normally always (like you said) come with Elementor, or WPBakery.

Soldato
Wondering if i should have gone with Square Space or something more off-the-shelf.....

Do this or just grab a static (HTML) theme from Themeforest (or similar), or if you want to get stuck into it use a static site generator/platform (https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...dations-for-a-static-site-generator.18942793/). Using a bloaty blogging platform for a landing page, or even a simple static site, is a bit...

1ecbqb.gif

Back
Top Bottom