Wordpress

Associate
In the middle of teaching myself PHP at the moment, but wanted a website up anyway which required no real fuss, so i've decided on using wordpress - i've got it installed, and set up and even modied the theme to suit my needs.

I simply wanted to come here, assuming people have this package set up themseleves - what plugins / extensions are must haves?

Akismet is the only one i have active at the moment, which should be useful if my previous wordpress blog was anything to go by!

Soldato
I dunno about all the must haves, but I'll give you a list of what I've got installed at the moment.

Have a look here for my site if you want to see some of them in action.

• Akismet - Speaks for itself.
  • Did You Pass Math? - I use this instead of a captcha for comments. I've had zero spam since I installed it. Nothings even got through to akismet.
  • KB Countdown Widget - Lets me stick a countdown widget where I want. (See bottom of menu bar)
  • Lightbox 2 - Best of the lightbox plugins I could find. (Java script pop up of images, check the posts in the photo category if you don't know what I mean.)
  • WordPress.com Stats - Pretty decent stats page built into the dashboard. You can use the same key and account as Akismet to activate it.
  • Random Posts - Displays similar to recent posts, but does random ones instead.
  • Post-Plugin Library - Needed for Random posts.
  • And of course Hello Dolly. ;)

I've few others, but they're not that great/useful, and some of the one's on my blog I've modified from the original files.

If you want links to any of the plugins or any help, I'll try my best. Just ask. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Your blog doesnt work for me in firefox for some reason, the site looks like this

orderoftheflame.jpg

However it works fine and looks fantastic in Internet explorer, which is odd!

Soldato
All in One SEO Pack
Google Analyticator - to insert google analytics code
Google XML Sitemaps - generates sitemap
NextGEN Gallery (although I dont use it anymore)
Subscribe To Comments - allows people that post a comment to get email alerts when a follow up comment is posted.
WordPress Related Posts - shows related posts
WP-Polls
WP Super Cache

Soldato
Your blog doesnt work for me in firefox for some reason, the site looks like this

Lol I don't even get that. In both IE and FF I get:
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/orderoft/blog/wp-content/plugins/maths/did_you_pass_math.php:27) in /home/www/orderoft/blog/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 770

Soldato

However it works fine and looks fantastic in Internet explorer, which is odd!

Lol I don't even get that. In both IE and FF I get:

Uh.. Yeah, I was playing with something before I went for my munch and it went fubar. :o

I've reverted the plugin I was working on now.. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Didnt take long for the next question, did it?

I've done a few test posts with some images in them, however no matter which ways i try i cant align it in the center?

I try the button to align it, i try the 'center' radio button on the insert image screen, and it centers it in the creation text box, but when published it aligns to the left.

Am i doing something wrong?

Soldato
You might be doing something wrong..

Either way dropping the following line in to your style.css file should fix it:
.post img{text-align:center}

Associate
OP
Thanks fini, i realised afterwards even though the text align makes it look like it works - it actually doesnt, when adding the image if i chose center align before playing around with any other alignment options, it actually worked straight away - so it was me doing things in the wrong order!

I'll add that to my CSS anyway, as it will make it slightly quicker!

Back
Top Bottom