Words / phrases that annoy you

Pho

Pho

Soldato
"gents"

I absolutely hate people at work who start emails or address us (a group of people) with this. Just no :mad:.

Not a fan of "lads", in terms of "lad banter" either.

Soldato
"Are you winning"

Seems to be the phrase all our bloody supervisors use at work when questioning how things are going/work progress...its contagious between them all.

Associate
"streets ahead" - I've heard this meme from Community being used 100% sincerely by news reporters on two separate occasions recently.

"any luck?" - when asking about my job, as if everything I do is based on luck

Soldato
OP
People that say "PIN Number".

Do they not get the point of the acronym?

This!

The other one is where they say "is it a PC or a laptop?" Well, they're both PCs, unless one of them is a Mac :p

Videos and DVDs as well, when they should have meant VHS (or Betamax even!) and DVDs. And blu-rays of course, but some people don't seeme to be aware of their existence yet :(

Soldato
Reading this thread has me reflecting on just how privileged this generation is. We are absolutely insulated from reality at times.

Anyway, when people say or write "could have" when it should be "Could've".

Also, we place our clothes in a drawer, not a draw.

Caporegime
Adding the word 'wild' to camping is used primarily to differentiate between your regular camping in camp sites or designated camping areas. It is really true or 'wild' if you like camping. Perhaps camping in campsites etc should have a prefix instead, eg sanitized or pretend camping and leave the word camping on its own to denote what is commonly called wild camping.

Wild camping means = illegally camping

:p

Soldato
Don't get that one :confused:

Maybe that's what they meant, see you later in the week. 'See you later' does not specify a time frame - why do you think they specifically mean they will see you later that day?!

Because it implies they will see you later in the day.

So not see you tomorrow or see you on such and such a day.

But to say "See you later" implies anytime anywhere on any day, which is very ambiguous to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom