Work Clear out, any bits worth saving?

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Work are having a clear out, and just wanted to check with you guys if any of the kit is worth rescuing. Not 100% certain which bits will definitely be going yet, but i know the cisco stuff is definitely for the chop.

The big list (there are multiples of some items):

Cisco Catalyst 4006
Cisco Catalyst 3548-XL
Cisco Catalyst 3524-XL (and a few inline power versions)
Cisco Catalyst 2950G
Cisco Catalyst 3560 PoE-48
Cisco 2503
Cisco 2610
Cisco 2500 Series (nothing specific on it)
Spiderport M250
Nokia IP2330
SMC Tigerstack II 8824M
Asante IntraCore 35160-T
Sun Enterprise 280R Server
Sun Enterprise 250 Server
HP Proliant DL380 G3

The Proliant servers and the SMC/Asante switches I am already interested in but not so sure about the rest. The Sun servers are antique and probably not worth a second glance.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
OP
Don't think work would let me bag any of it for selling. Was going to pick some bits for personal use at home. Most likely it would either get skipped or collected by one of those recycling companies. TBH I was considering butchering some of the cards that go with the 4006 for the sanyo organic polymer capacitors.

This is the stack of 3548 and 3524 XL's that are going. (apparently they've been sat around for 2 years and they can't wait to be shot of them)
CiscoKit.jpg

Associate
The 4006 could be worth about £200 depending on the modules installed. The 3548's are worth about £40 each I think. Don't think they'd shift very quickly mind.

Edit: Just checked the bay, the 3548's are £25+ including rack mounts/cables, not really worth the time I guess. Might as well give them all to us... :p

Last edited:

Kei

Kei

Soldato
OP
Lol, didn't think it was going to be worth anything anyhow. (not why i was checking, as I'm after stuff for me)

Here is the rest of it (bar the 4006)
CiscoKit3.jpg

CiscoKit2.jpg

Particularly interested in these 2 servers. Bottom one has a lot more storage than the other, and from a quick test yesterday (god they are loud), its a dual 3GHz Xeon running SUSE linux enterprise. (they are underneath a mountain of sun servers so i can't get at them properly)
HPServers.jpg

Kei

Kei

Soldato
OP
I don't actually know, never had a server before and i've not used one in work before either. It all depends on whether they are going or not though. Might use them for web hosting and backup purposes (though they are probably overkill for it, plus i do all my backups onto multiple external disks anyhow.)

i could do with some cisco gear, or at least the mounting brackets. if any goes a begging. i'd sort out pickup/delivery ;)
There is a box full of cisco rack mounting hardware that i put away in one of the cupboards. (plus all the ones that have the brackets fitted already) Lord knows whether it'll be kept or not. They've had me in 3 rooms cataloguing and sorting out 2 years worth of accumulated mess from the IT redundancies. (shifted all the IT stuff from cardiff to another site) Most of the IT stuff seems to be moving towards apple now anyway.

Last edited:

Kei

Kei

Soldato
OP
Not really the purpose of this thread as i'm not after the value of the parts as i don't intend on selling parts on. (not least of which because they aren't mine to sell. Foxes me why companies just dump this stuff rather than sell it on to recoup some of the costs, like the BBC world service auction)

Soldato
While old like the 2500 routers, people on ebay still buy them for cisco certs.

I have also seen lots of companies just selling stuff to these ebay 'recycling' sellers. Recycling meaning, the seller is called xxxrecyclingxxx.

No point binning money.

Soldato
Personally I'd kept the Cisco kit against any future purchases as Cisco will give you about a 6% rebate for trading old kit in against new (doesn't matter if it's the kit being replaced or not), this is usually on a per port basis.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Definatley worth grabbbing as much as you can mate.
Cisco stuff is always in demand for people studying Cisco courses.
Things liek switches are also very usefull in a home environment too :)

why not just offer to dispose of them for the company?
Means they dont have to get external companies to come in.

If they ask your intentions, home network and study aids for you and your friends.

Back
Top Bottom