1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Workhorse NAS

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by the_r_sole, Jul 31, 2018.

1. the_r_sole

Mobster

Hi there,
    Looking for a replacement NAS for 4/5 users in the office, we currently have a readynas duo which has done about 10 years service and is absolutely fine for our needs tbh the only thing that we need to be better is remote access for two users, the readynas remote client is awful and has always been awful!

It really only needs to be a good, solid file server, two bay is fine for our needs and allow remote access in some form, I've been recommended the Synology DS218j and Qnap TS-213P2 as good upgrades - any thoughts opinions?
    as i say we really don't push these things hard, it's just file storage (drawings and photos really)

cheers

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  2. bledd

Don

I would go for the DS218 with a pair of WD red drives, also a third usb drive connected to it for backups.

3. the_r_sole

Mobster

Cheers, we've got the drives at the moment so will use those as they're fairly bew. Good idea with the usb backup tho

4. pcfarrar

Hitman

Just a warning I bought a few TS-231P2 at work recently, one died 2 weeks after installing. QNAP wanted me to pay to send it back to Netherlands for RMA replacement. In the end I sent it back to the reseller. The QNAP support was a pretty poor experience overall.
    DS218 is definitely a better choice!

5. the_r_sole

Mobster

thanks for that - that's the kind of advice I'm after!

6. Vargas

Mobster

Definitely backup the NAS. I backup from one NAS to another at a different location.

7. neil_g

Sgarrista

i would think after 2 weeks the reseller would be the first point of call?

e.g even synology (after they remoted in and diagnosed a faulty 5th bay slot) gave me a reference to hand to the reseller for RMA.

8. pcfarrar

Hitman

It's generally a long wait when returning to resellers, I'm still waiting for it's return now. Given that the unit was quite cheap I just bought another as it was the quickest way to get it up and running again. In future I will buy the advance replacement extended warranty.