Working abroad after finishing my degree

Soldato
Was contracting in the UK, saw a contract in Basel, thought meh, throw my CV at that, while I was on holiday about 3hrs from Basel they asked me if I would be willing to come up and interview.
Thought why not, drove up, 6hr interview later, was offered the job. Came back to UK and they informed me my contract was finishing due to budgets, which was handy as I'd accepted the Basel role.

Moved there 3 weeks later. Drove down on my own, only time I'd ever been to Basel was for the interview. Thought I'd see how the first 6 months went.

Kinda got stuck here... bored to hell of the contract now, it's crap, but it's so easy and they pay me well enough I can pursue other things.

I just windmilled in. Why not? I could have just gone back if I didn't like it. Instead I moved the whole family out. Kids go to French school, speak fluent French. My French is...OK, but I never use it. I work in an English speaking company, so you know.

Associate
Do you ski/snowboard and/or mountain bike?

A good fun way is to work the winter/summer resorts in the Alps while catching up on some snow/sun if you're into those activities.

Soldato
OP
Was contracting in the UK, saw a contract in Basel, thought meh, throw my CV at that, while I was on holiday about 3hrs from Basel they asked me if I would be willing to come up and interview.
Thought why not, drove up, 6hr interview later, was offered the job. Came back to UK and they informed me my contract was finishing due to budgets, which was handy as I'd accepted the Basel role.

Moved there 3 weeks later. Drove down on my own, only time I'd ever been to Basel was for the interview. Thought I'd see how the first 6 months went.

Kinda got stuck here... bored to hell of the contract now, it's crap, but it's so easy and they pay me well enough I can pursue other things.

I just windmilled in. Why not? I could have just gone back if I didn't like it. Instead I moved the whole family out. Kids go to French school, speak fluent French. My French is...OK, but I never use it. I work in an English speaking company, so you know.

Thanks, that's very interesting. Long term, if I were to stay in France, that's pretty much what I'd be aiming for. If I can get myself set up there, it'll certainly be a lot easier to go to interviews etc at a moments notice.

Do you ski/snowboard and/or mountain bike?

A good fun way is to work the winter/summer resorts in the Alps while catching up on some snow/sun if you're into those activities.

I've ski'd in the Alps before and very much enjoyed it, but I wouldn't really want to work there. As ridiculous as it sounds, part of the reason why I want to move is to live in a warmer climate, so anywhere mountainous wouldn't be ideal.

Caporegime
Why does option 1 necessarily mean 3 years living with your parents?

Plenty of companies send graduates overseas for example... you could easily be sent abroad right after the initial few weeks of the grad training program in plenty of international companies if you express that sort of interest up front. You tend to save a ton of money too since your accommodation will be paid for + you get a daily allowance or expenses... your salary/bonus can mostly just go direct to your bank account occasionally dipped into for weekend drinking sessions. In fact anywhere where you'd be billable would likely give you regular flights back home earning you frequent flyer points too... you'd likely not be paying for any holidays for a while either with a combination of hotel points and air miles you'd accrue.

Caporegime
Life's far too short to let work and a "need" for house ownership to rule your decisions.

I only work 3 days a week in a slightly stagnated career path for a decent enough wage in a glorious place, and I am far happier than when I was stupid enough to be chasing the career ladder at one of the "Big 4".

Agreed, far too many people worry about need x amount of money or owning a house before x age. **** that, life is for enjoying not for spending you're whole life paying off a mortgage just to be able to enjoy it during retirement. Move to France, you clearly want to.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Option 1 need not be something you don't enjoy and something which requires you sit at home for 3 years. However being accepted on to a good grad scheme is very difficult and will require numerous applications, perseverance and being put through ridiculous 4 stage interview processes. But if you get it the result is usually ending up with a position where you're given the opportunity to experience all the different parts of the company and learn a lot. The pay is usually good too so you could move out and have your own place. Many grad schemes also offer the opportunity of going abroad.

I'd go for option 2 if you're unable to get a grad scheme. You can start applying now.

Soldato
OP
So, I went for option 2. Seems to be working pretty well so far, I'm getting paid to do something I'd quite happily do for free! To be driving around in these at my age is really a privilege, and something I'll never forget.

27333198686_0d4ca06e42_b.jpg

26759242424_0dbacd1b62_b.jpg

27366858325_ec1a1221b0_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom