Working at the same place as your partner..

J86

J86

Associate
There's a job going at my girlfriend's place (in a smallish office - we'd be working together). She said I should give in my CV.

Do you think this would lead to arguments?

Good or bad idea?

Last edited:
Associate
Didn't work out for me and my ex a while back but we were in a smallish office in the same department.

However two friends of mine got together, same office but different department, and they are now engaged after two years.

I say go for it just promise not to talk about work when your not at work.

J86

J86

Associate
OP
Lol the comments are making me have second thoughts. We get on really well and never really argue. Just a bit worried working in a smallish office together would cause arguments..

Soldato
I work in the same university as my girlfried... Same department, same building, same floor... and our offices are right next door to each other...

It works for us and I really enjoy it :) Its nice to see her for brief encounters during the day and then go home together.

The only thing I would say (and this depends on the nature of your work) is that it might be difficult for you to take time off together if they need X number of people manning the stations. As for us that doesn't matter so it's all good :)

Edit... We started in a large open plan office with 24 people and it was fine... Works even better now that we are in smaller offices :)

Caporegime
Lol the comments are making me have second thoughts. We get on really well and never really argue. Just a bit worried working in a smallish office together would cause arguments..

Not only that but if your in the same office together all day and talking you will have very little to talk about when you are home.

That's only the start of your problems. If one of you gets favourtism over the other then the arguments start.

There is good reason some companies expressly forbid it in their rulebooks.

Soldato
I'd avoid if you can.

Depending on the line of work and the other people you work with, there could be some resentment there. The other issue is that it means your lives become even more entwined, that may be fine for some, but if you come home and all you do is talk about work and everyone else you work with, it will become a bit rubbish. At least if you both have different jobs elsewhere, you have something different to talk about.

I dated a girl I used to work with for over a year and we kept it secret from our colleagues. We did just end up talking about work all the time and gossiping, I knew eventually I felt so much like it would be nice to hear about somebody else's life instead. I was gone before it happened, but if you break up, that's going to be a world of trouble.

Associate
There's a job going at my girlfriend's place (in a smallish office - we'd be working together). She said I should give in my CV.

Do you think this would lead to arguments?

Good or bad idea?

She has Trust Issues and wants to keep her eye on you...LOL

I can see the plus side though.

Way up the Pro's & Cons:

Pro's
Office Sex - Tick
Get to know her better - Tick
Office Sex - Tick
See what she gets upto (if you have trust issues) - Tick
Office Sex - Tick

Con's
She keeps and eye on you an gives you evils when you perv on the other office totty - Family Fortunes "uh-oh" ( X )
She has probably told some of her office friends dirty secrets about you and her & you have to wonder why some of them snigger at you when they look at you LOL - Family Fortunes "uh-oh" ( X )
you could fid out she's banging the boss - Family Fortunes "uh-oh" ( X )
She maybe earning more than you - Family Fortunes "uh-oh" ( X )

Back
Top Bottom