Working In The EU

Soldato
Curious to know if anyone here has any insight into this.

UK citizen married to a citizen from an EU country. Both live in UK.

Are both able to move and work in EU freely? Ie can the UK national apply for a job in an EU country without needing a work permit?

Caporegime
Unlikely. Deffo not in Sweden.
Italian married to a Swede and she had huge trouble getting tax numbers and work permit.
Now with Brexit. I'm sure it's possible depending on the country and the paperwork. Can't be difficult, but certainly not as straight forward as last year.
Huge depends on the country in question I'd expect,

Soldato
OP
Wife is Lithuanian. Was wondering if I could qualify to "live" in Lithuania, get the work permit for EU, then work in Germany or another EU country.

Looking for the path of least resistance.

Associate
Wife is Lithuanian. Was wondering if I could qualify to "live" in Lithuania, get the work permit for EU, then work in Germany or another EU country.

I don't think so. I believe the work permit only entitles you to work in the country you applied for.
To enjoy true FOM you'd need to become a EU citizen.

Don't quote me on that though as I'm struggling to find any info on it.

Caporegime
Curious to know if anyone here has any insight into this.

UK citizen married to a citizen from an EU country. Both live in UK.

Are both able to move and work in EU freely? Ie can the UK national apply for a job in an EU country without needing a work permit?
Even when we were in the EU you had to get a work permit, although it was as simple as registering as eligible to work.

some of them will have "natives/EU members" as priority as well and they would have to prove a native couldn't do the job.

Soldato
it rains a lot!? that's an understatement and a half :p
That's why I'm currently sat in the middle of England, where it is also ****ing down currently! :p
Moving to Ireland for a Brit does seem like an option though, as it's easier for them now than other EU countries and if they wanted to play the long game (5 years) to be an EU citizen again...

Associate

I am not sure if this sill remain.

Soldato

Some very incorrect information in this thread so far...

Because your wife is Lithuanian you can take advantage of the EU freedom of movement rules if you move to a country other than Lithuania. No work permit required - https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=463&langId=en

If you want to move to Lithuania you are subject to their rules which may be more complex.

Soldato
There isn't an EU work permit.

Being an EU person enables you to get a more direct route through a particular EU countries immigration system.

To do what you're wanting to do, you'd have to become a citizen of an EU country.

There seems to be 2 ways for you, either;

Emigrate on some marriage visa to Lithuania and live there until you qualify for citizenship. Though I'm wondering if there is a language test you have to do to get Lithuanian citizenship?

Or as suggested earlier you could live in the Republic of Ireland for a few years. You're wife would also be entitled to live there as well.

Soldato
As @OllyM said, i don't think it's as tricky as many people are making out. Particularly in Spain, we're looking to move there and my wife has Irish citizenship. I've spoken to multiple immigration people who've all confirmed that i, as a UK citizen will enjoy the same benefits she has as an EU citizen.

Unsure about Germany, but in Spain she would get a residency permit and i would get one which says "dependant of ......". Then after a few years i can apply for permenant residency myself.

Something funny now about people getting Eastern european wives for the passport. Used to be the other way around with mail order brides wanting the UK passport :p

Associate
As @OllyM said, i don't think it's as tricky as many people are making out. Particularly in Spain, we're looking to move there and my wife has Irish citizenship. I've spoken to multiple immigration people who've all confirmed that i, as a UK citizen will enjoy the same benefits she has as an EU citizen.

Unsure about Germany, but in Spain she would get a residency permit and i would get one which says "dependant of ......". Then after a few years i can apply for permenant residency myself.

Something funny now about people getting Eastern european wives for the passport. Used to be the other way around with mail order brides wanting the UK passport :p
I dont think its the problem working in EU but i gess family must be in same EU country.

Soldato
OP
Thank you all for your input. I was thinking Lithuanian citizenship but I'd have to be dual which doesn't appear to be an option.

Takes 7 years of living in Lithuania with spouse before I can get citizenship anyway, which would be too long for me.

Some very incorrect information in this thread so far...

Because your wife is Lithuanian you can take advantage of the EU freedom of movement rules if you move to a country other than Lithuania. No work permit required - https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=463&langId=en

If you want to move to Lithuania you are subject to their rules which may be more complex.
Thank you for this. I hope this makes things easier.
There are jobs popping up in Norway. I know they aren't EU but I believe you can work there with EU right to work.

Associate
Thank you all for your input. I was thinking Lithuanian citizenship but I'd have to be dual which doesn't appear to be an option.

Takes 7 years of living in Lithuania with spouse before I can get citizenship anyway, which would be too long for me.

Thank you for this. I hope this makes things easier.
There are jobs popping up in Norway. I know they aren't EU but I believe you can work there with EU right to work.
Yes you can work in Norway with EU right but Norway is not part of EU just EEA.
So if you move there with your wife you should be ok but thats is more information to be done.

Soldato
OP
So with that being said, am I able to accept a job in Norway or Germany and start say next week, relocating with my (EU citizen) wife?

Back
Top Bottom