Worth getting 8GB DDR3 and an SSD?

Soldato
I have a fairly basic laptop but it has always been speedy enough for my needs.

Specs are:

Intel Core B960 2.2Ghz CPU
4GB DDR3 RAM
500GB HDD

To make it even more snappier I'm considering putting in another 4GB DDR3 and getting an SSD. Would I see a noticeable difference though or would I be wasting my money?

Cheers

Associate
Are you sure that the memory you have isn't 2x2gb (total 4gb) and not 1x4gb? Might mean having to buy 2x4gb sticks rather than 1. Benefit is that its cheap, and could help you if your a heavy multi tasker/ use memory intensive applications.

SSD's are amazing, but if your laptop can only accommodate one disk drive then you have to question if the capacity is going to be suitable for your requirements, as the big drives are still relatively expensive per GB. If you can make do with smaller capacity, then it would definitely give your laptop a new lease of life. I put my 80GB intel SSD drive in my old sata 2 ddr2 laptop (4+ years old) and it absolutely flies now, the difference is night and day.

Soldato
OP
Are you sure that the memory you have isn't 2x2gb (total 4gb) and not 1x4gb? Might mean having to buy 2x4gb sticks rather than 1. Benefit is that its cheap, and could help you if your a heavy multi tasker/ use memory intensive applications.

SSD's are amazing, but if your laptop can only accommodate one disk drive then you have to question if the capacity is going to be suitable for your requirements, as the big drives are still relatively expensive per GB. If you can make do with smaller capacity, then it would definitely give your laptop a new lease of life. I put my 80GB intel SSD drive in my old sata 2 ddr2 laptop (4+ years old) and it absolutely flies now, the difference is night and day.

I checked with CPU-Z and I have 1 stick of 4GB DDR3.

How would I know if my laptop could take a SSD and a normal HDD together?

Thanks

Associate
Typically if its a 15" or 16" laptop, they tend to have just the single hard drive bay (few exceptions). 17" laptops often have 2 bays, as they are larger and are often desktop replacements.

You can purchase bays which occupy your optical disk drive bay, and allow you to put a hard drive in, but then obviously you loose that ability (but then you can also buy an external caddy to put that in :).

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the replys - As for more RAM, will I need to get a stick identical to the one that's in right now?

Cheers

Soldato
What is the model number of the laptop mate and the make, that way we can look up the right RAM for that laptop. Have you opened up the RAM area to see how many slots it has and how many slots are taken to be 100% sure there are not 2 sticks in there but showing up as one in CPU-Z ? Also good Idea to check the BIOS and see what it states there too.

Soldato
OP
What is the model number of the laptop mate and the make, that way we can look up the right RAM for that laptop. Have you opened up the RAM area to see how many slots it has and how many slots are taken to be 100% sure there are not 2 sticks in there but showing up as one in CPU-Z ? Also good Idea to check the BIOS and see what it states there too.

Its an Acer Aspire 5750Z. I've just took the RAM Cover off, I don't know why CPU-Z was reporting 4 slots but their are 2 slots, one of which is occupied with a 4GB Stick.

Cheers

Soldato
MAX that laptop takes is 8GB in 2 x 4GB sticks. You can't go over 8GB.

Specifications

Part Number: Aspire5750Z Acer Aspire 5750Z Notebook Series

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/2011/Acer/Aspire/Aspire5750Z/Aspire5750Zsp2.shtml

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Aspire 5750Z

These will work with that laptop and are matched pairs 2 x 4GB = 8GB total sticks one pair from corsair one from pair Crucial.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-324-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1264

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-154-CR&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1264

or if you want to try a single stick 1 x 4gb I would try one of these. But normally I would buy 2 sticks the same at the same time to make sure they will run in dual channel without any issues, but that is for clients when I do that but for myself I would try one stick then add another of the same type if the old stick does not like the new one added.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-322-CS

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-140-CR&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1264

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thank you very much. :) Obviously I will only be needing the single stick, so if I went ahead and purchased that one would everything run fine?

Cheers

Soldato
Any of the two I mention there as single sticks should work with no problems hopefully, they are the spec that laptop uses. If you find they don't like working together with the stick you currently have DSR them mate and get the 2 x 4GB sticks and they will 100% work together.Also it's worth trying a single stick first you can always just buy a 2nd one as the one you get now and they will again work as a pair and you don't have to go threw the hassle of DSR. It is rare a new stick won't work with the old stick in the system.

I would grab one for now and try it with the stick you have and hopefully all will be good and a good cheap upgrade then. Make sure you have 64bit windows to make full use of the 8GB memory.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I guess I could always buy the dual sticks and I could sell the one I have in now on the MM to get a bit of the cost back. Seems like a good idea?

Soldato
Yes you can do that too, not a bad plan they are desired items on the MM laptop memory and it's a 4GB stick so should get snapped up and many acer laptops out there that use that same memory. Up to you mate how you want to deal with it, less hassle route of course is to get 2 x 4GB and they should always work as a pair in dual channel without any headaches because they are exactly the same.

Soldato
Yes it should just feel more nippy when it works right. Do make sure you have a 64bit operating system or you won't make use of the extra 4GB. 32bit windows can only access 4GB RAM remember so if you have 32 bit windows on that laptop you will need to install the 64bit version too. 8GB ram is the sweet spot now and you will notice a good speed up in windows and how programs open.

Your next update if your laptop still feels a bit slow to you is an SSD really. Try the memory first and maybe a new install of windows will breath new life into that laptop.

Soldato
OP
Yes it should just feel more nippy when it works right. Do make sure you have a 64bit operating system or you won't make use of the extra 4GB. 32bit windows can only access 4GB RAM remember so if you have 32 bit windows on that laptop you will need to install the 64bit version too. 8GB ram is the sweet spot now and you will notice a good speed up in windows and how programs open.

Your next update if your laptop still feels a bit slow to you is an SSD really. Try the memory first and maybe a new install of windows will breath new life into that laptop.

Thanks - Yeah I already have 64Bit Windows Ultimate installed and I did a fresh install earlier on. :) Will be picking up the RAM tomorrow.

What's the difference between the ones you linked? Their seems to be a bit of a price difference but that's the only thing I can see...

Cheers

Soldato
They are both the same mate, just branding and different prices. Only real difference I see is Corsair ones state this "Memory Specification Compliance: PC3-10600" and both are lifetime warranty.

Pick the ones you like mate, both should work fine.

Soldato
OP
Thanks very much for your input. :) Appreciate your time.

I will certainly be looking into an SSD when I've got a bit more cash after this upgrade.

I am interested in the idea of taking out the DVD Drive and putting the SSD in place of it but I'm not sure exactly what I'd need or do. I'd assume I have to buy some sort of specially fitted caddy?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom