Worth getting an iPhone now?

Associate
Seeing as the 3.0 software seems it will fix many of the major gripes I had with the device in the first place, is it worth picking one up now, or is there new version of the hardware likely to come out soon which would be worth waiting for? All I'm really looking for now (that I know of) is a better camera, but that's hardly essential...

Soldato
That't the million $$ question mate.

I'm waiting until about May time to see if there's any news. If you can wait a month or 2 it would be the sensible thing to do. If you can't just get one now. But either way you have to wait till June for the new OS.

Soldato
Macrumors says that someone has picked apart the Beta of OS 3.0 and found hardware model references that point to upgraded iPhone and iPod Touch models on the way. I reckon there will be a simultaneous launch of the updated OS and new hardware.

Soldato
It's business as per usual with the electronics industry - continual development and improvement. You can spend ages waiting for the next big thing to come along, you just need to jump on at some point.

If the current iPhone 3G does all you need then go for it now. I'm going to hold off for a couple of months as by then my T-Mobile contract will have run out.

Permabanned
It's business as per usual with the electronics industry - continual development and improvement. You can spend ages waiting for the next big thing to come along, you just need to jump on at some point.

I think this is where Apple differ to most companies, a lot of the time it *is* worth hanging on. No point in buying something that is going to be replaced by something better for a similar price in the very near future surely. Although after Apple's 'exchange rate' shenanigans with the Mac Mini etc. maybe it is worth buying now. ;)

Normally with Apple it's worth hanging on though if you know a new product is about to come out.

Associate
I think this is where Apple differ to most companies, a lot of the time it *is* worth hanging on. No point in buying something that is going to be replaced by something better for a similar price in the very near future surely. Although after Apple's 'exchange rate' shenanigans with the Mac Mini etc. maybe it is worth buying now. ;)

Normally with Apple it's worth hanging on though if you know a new product is about to come out.

Agreed Apple seem to launch a product at a price and regardless of what is happening to the exchange rate that price does not change until the new product is launched. As the Mac mini had not been updated for 18+ months this resulted in fairly large price hikes recently when the new one was launched as the pound fell from 2$ to $1.4 over the period. But with a stable exchange rate the new product is invariably better and cheaper than the old so worth hanging on for...

Soldato
Well my contract runs out next month. I'm wandering whether to grab a 3G one free on the £45 contract as soon as my old one ends, or get a simplicity sim, keep using my 2G one and wait till the announcement.

Hmmmmm decisions.

Associate
OP
Well my contract runs out next month. I'm wandering whether to grab a 3G one free on the £45 contract as soon as my old one ends, or get a simplicity sim, keep using my 2G one and wait till the announcement.

Hmmmmm decisions.

After everything I've heard I'm gonna wait, I'm sure details will trickle through before July we'll probably know whether it's gonna be worth it in the next 8 weeks or so. Or, I might cave and get the HTC Touch Diamond 2, it's looking pretty sexy...

fez

fez

Caporegime
Wait a while if you can. Hopefully they will have a better camera and make it a little slimmer. They should release the info in the next few months if you can hold on.

Soldato
I'm waiting till the Summer till I make a decision. I'm happy with my current phone for now, and don't want to risk buying an iPhone 3G with a better model being released 3 or 4 months down the line :p

Associate
It does make more sense to wait tbh. If the 2g iPhone is anything to go by you should see a price reduction when/before a new model is announced.

Thats my plan. I'm happy with my 2G so getting a 3G for reduced price (if they follow form) will be a bonus. :D

Associate
I'd say this time around if you want one you might as well get it now.

This time last year, it was different as it was obvious the 2G iPhone could be upgraded substantially (2G -> 3G, GPS, proper headphone jack etc).

Yes, it's likely there'll be a new iPhone announced in June but I really doubt it'll be as much of an upgrade as 2G -> 3G was. If you think about it the likely changes seem to be:

- 3.6 Mbps -> 7.2 Mbps HSDPA (Will probably make little difference on o2's Network)
- Wireless N (Little real world difference)
- Longer battery life (If you can charge daily then 3G's battery life is sufficient)
- Better camera (It's never going to be digital camera quality)
- Larger capacity (You'll have to weigh this one up for yourself, if 8/16Gb is sufficient you have no need)

Of those, none will really tempt me to upgrading. Of course apple may well surprise us with some revolutionary stuff but I'm not sure they'd bother in the current market.

Back
Top Bottom