• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth going from AMD Ryzen 3 1200 to Ryzen 5 2600?

Soldato
12 threads on the Ryzen 5 vs 4 threads on your Ryzen 3.
If you play games which utilise these 4 threads, yes, you will remove the bottleneck. In these days, 4 threads is the entry-level itself and unless you are on a severely contsrained budget, don't remain for long torturing yourself.
Four threads is problem for preventing background stuff from causing fps drops.
Unless minimizing number of background stuff doesn't need much for them to cause "hiccups" when many background processes want CPU time simultaneously.

With more than enough cores/threads having browsers etc open in background doesn't hinder gaming.

Soldato
Months ago, I was thinking AMD and Intel would release their next gen CPU’s around the same time. I was hoping AMD might sneak theirs out a month or two earlier, since they needs all the help they can get battling a giant like Intel.

Since then Intel announced yet another delay stating that their 10nm volume production is moving from the second half of 2018 into 2019!
I am also excited about Intel’s 10nm Icelake but AMD is already in 7nm volume production. This will mean AMD takes the performance crown in 2019 for the first time in over a decade while Intel’s 10nm Icelake might be months away from even joining the party.

If AMD can deliver the goods, just imagine all those people that have been waiting to upgrade their old CPU’s. They will be reading and watching videos of excited reviewers talking about how AMD has taken back the Performance Crown, Best Gaming CPU, Best Productivity CPU, More Cores and so on.
AMD can have all this if they just give us a good CPU and do it on time. Early 2019 would be ideal and remember competition is key, so a stronger AMD means lower prices for all of us, including on Intel products :)
Hopefully this happens, I just find it hard to believe Intel have dropped the ball this heavily. It'll be interesting too see who's process is better, AMD's 7nm or Intel' 10nm.

Soldato
Interested in seeing what 8 core Intel bring to the table, I'd like to buy AMD to support competition and get that soldered IHS, AMD will release a 10 core for X470 chipset when Intel go mainstream with 8 cores, if we look at the VRM's on most board like the Crosshair you'll see they are massively overkill, which feeds my thoughts on this.
The problem with producing a deca-core Ryzen is that the CCXs are modules of four cores, so they'd have to squeeze an entire third CCX onto the package. I don't know that it'd be viable in the AM4 form factor (obviously not a problem with Threadripper since it's a much larger socket). Or indeed whether you can have a Ryzen chip with an odd number of CCXs at all, since the current ones are all an even number (even the quad cores have two CCXs with two cores enabled in each). One rumour/theory is that they'll be moving to hexa-core CCXs with Ryzen 2, so that'd certainly open up the possibility of ten or twelve cores on AM4.

Personally, I think that the absolute best cherrypicked octa-cores would be used for a 2800X to combat Intel's octa-core Coffee Lake, should it arrive this year, with a 4.5GHz turbo out of the box or something.

Back
Top Bottom