Worth moving from 2011 MBP 13 to a 2017 MB?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I've got a trusy old Macbook Pro 13 inch that I bought early-ish 2011 that's done me ok over the years, RAM upgraded to 8GB and an SSD dropped in means it's not too sluggish.

But it's an old machine, the screen res by todays standards is horrible, it's a bit chunky, battery doesn't really last long etc.

An offer has come up at work for some refurb units, and been toying with the idea of going for a 2017 Macbook, the 1.3GHz model with 8GB RAM and 512GB storage, at a cost of £799.

That's still a fair amount of cash so it's never going to be 'worth it' as such, but what's people's opinion here, worth the change?

Only really use the thing for light duties now, browsing, photos, itunes etc, don't run any VMs anymore on the existing machine.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
OP
It is tempting me! There's also the 2016 models on there even cheaper, but would probably stick to the 2017.

Or push the boat out for a 2017 MBP 13 with touchbar, although they only have the 8GB models on offer, but still are £1250 (and £1569 on Apple refurb site!)

Last edited:

Bes

Bes

Soldato
I think the 12" MB is a little small personally. However that is stonking value.

The 2017 model is a lot better than the 2016 from a processor spec perspective so go for that whatever you do.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
The Kaby Lake processor is only a clock bump I thought over Skylake?
Hmmm when I was looking at MacBooks i read that the 2016 models were quite a bit worse on battery life. I ended up buying a ntb Pro.

I think at least on the ntb pros the clock speeds went down from 2016 to 2017 and battery life went up?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
OP
Had a nose at a MacBook in the Apple store today and it was a nice little thing, will probably go for it as for the money if I don’t like it could likely shift it on at little to no loss :)

Soldato
Had a nose at a MacBook in the Apple store today and it was a nice little thing, will probably go for it as for the money if I don’t like it could likely shift it on at little to no loss :)

Check your trust I sent you message a retailer has it on sale for £799, but its has 256 GB SSD but it has 3 year guarantee.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
OP
Cheers! Had a look, it’s only the m3 processor for £799, plus only in Gold or Rose Gold :p. Still not a bad price new!

Will likely stick with the work one on offer, only a year guarantee but that should be fine... (famous last words!)

Soldato
Cheers! Had a look, it’s only the m3 processor for £799, plus only in Gold or Rose Gold :p. Still not a bad price new!

Will likely stick with the work one on offer, only a year guarantee but that should be fine... (famous last words!)

Ah my bad the i5 model with 512 BG SSD is £999 anyway enjoy!

Soldato
Where is this? I can only see the m version for that price

Was going to trust you a link but you don't have it set up... I can't post the website due to competitor rules. But its retailer that has stores and a website its named after has two male names... J...... L....

Man of Honour
One thing to consider is the keyboard. Don't the 2016 and 2017 MBP's and MB's have the critically flawed first and second gen butterfly keyboards? I believe they fixed it with the additional membrane for 2018 but the earlier versions have a very high repeated failure rate which requires the whole top of the MBP to be replaced if it's out of warranty. Apple extended the warranty for the issue but you appear to keep your laptops for a long time so it may be relevant.

Associate
Hmm. Good point. I remember hearing about the keyboards too. Something to think about I guess. Can’t imagine it being cheap to replace the keyboard either!

Back
Top Bottom