Worth moving from Leopard to Snow Leopard?

Associate
Is it worth purchasing Snow Leopard for £25 for my Macbook 2.2 Intel C2D/2.5GB Ram?

Only thing i can see that is different is speed, but is it noticeable.

Soldato
I'd say do it! For £25 it's a steal. It's much faster and is continually getting better with updates. 10.6.3 has really opened it up some what.

Soldato
It will give you a speed increase and applications such as mail, etc are faster. By how much? I can't remember but the major increase in speed for me was an SSD.

Caporegime
Go for it mate, when I did a clean install of Snow Leopard and installed the new Aperture 3 and Photoshop as they are now running in 64bit its like a new machine! :)

Associate
OP
Snow Leopard ordered - will update if I notice any discernible performance different.

Now if only the new Cinema Display's weren't so expensive :(

Soldato
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd ask in here.

I've got a mac mini running 10.4.11 (Tiger?), can I upgrade to OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard with the £25 OS I've seen around?

Mac noob here, so be gentle.

Intel mini btw, incase it makes a difference.

Soldato
I'm (finally) upgrading from 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard today, so I can post back some thoughts later on. I've been getting a lot of beachballs lately so I'll be interested to see how it fares.

Caporegime
You can physically upgrade directly from 10.4 to 10.6 using that disc, but you won't be properly licensed unless you also own a license for 10.5 for that machine.

The upgrade disc is identical to the full install disc, so there's really no difference besides how much you pay to Apple. I really wouldn't worry about some arguable licensing issues.

Commissario
Well the licence conditions are pretty straightforward. The licensing conditions aren't arguable at all.

From the upgrade:

Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer as long as that computer has a properly licensed copy of Mac OS X Leopard already installed on it.

The non upgrade doesn't include that bit in bold, it just says:

you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at a time.

It's all down to trust really, you can buy the upgrade pack and upgrade from Tiger, everything will work and nobody will ever know any difference but you're not actually licensed.

Soldato
Well a few hours later, all backed up and running Snow Leopard with all the updates. I've got to say it's a revelation. It's gotten rid of 90% of my beachball instances and everything just seems... smoother. Scrolling in Safari is smoother, opening new tabs with cmd click is smoother... I'm very very happy - very well spent £25 :D

Back
Top Bottom