Worth paying more for an Audi over a Skoda?

Maybe she drives a lot more miles? I know SUVs are mobile bricks and have worse economy but they can't be 4x worse. My wife likes the high, 'safe', driving position an SUV provides. I prefer the lower centre of gravity an estate provides. Personally I don't need to sit high to feel safe, I just need to be observant of all the other morons around me on the road. I prefer the boot space in an estate too, which is generally longer if not quite as high as an SUV.

I thought you meant like for like engine. It's not comparing apples for apples if you don't both have the same engine. Still shocking mpg from a petrol engine though if it truly is 4x less. That'd be 18mpg average! I'd be questioning whether something was up with the engine, timing out a tooth or something? Unless all her journeys are very short and in and around town and I could understand the 18mpg then.

Last edited:
I've put a deposit to hold this. Should get to go and see it Thursday.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...code=so198gd&price-to=16000&radius=25&fromsra

I like the Volvos but they cost so much more and they still have their issues too, both V60 and V90. Anyone know anything in particular I should check on in this model?

I've read things to check are:
DSG box is smooth and goes all the way up and down (Are DSG issues common on Skodas?)
Unreliable sat nav (not a deal breaker)
Manual child lock disengages (fun!)
Rear wheel bearing issue (Recall happened)
Slow airbag (Recall happened)

Anything else folks?

I have been sent the reg and run an MOT history check

2022 MOT states
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Coolant leak
2023 MOT states
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • coolant level low
So to me that says there's a coolant leak and it hasn't been fixed and they're just topping coolant up to keep things going. Hmmm. I've emailed to ask for proof of receipts for any fixes that have taken place to resolve that issue.

I have no preference, DSG or manual. Never owned an auto before so I'm used to driving a manual.

That Audi is interesting, might be worth a look too! What is MHEV though? something to do with hybrid? I have no way to plug in charge at home.

Last edited:
I didn't go and see the Octavia. The dealer said the car would be repaired prior to me purchasing it however my wife and I decided why buy a car knowing it has an issue and one that could take time to figure out what the issue is. I'm aware of the water pump issues but there are other leak points in a 2.0 Octavia too and I didn't want to end up having to to and throw from a garage with a just bought car.

The MHEV would be OK for us I think. I've no plan to go electric but think I could live with a mild hybrid. Loads of things cost a lot to fix on modern cars. My gearbox rebuild / clutch replacement a few years ago cost a four figure value. One thing I don't like with the Audis are their engine mounts. Stupid oil filled things that can crack, leak and fail. I replaced mine on my current Audi with H34 solid ones. I had a little more cabin noise but no more sagging engine mounts at least. I'm unsure though if the newer engine mounts are also wired up to the ECU and if swapped for solid mounts an error would be permanently displayed on the dash?

I'm not sure what your expectations are but I doubt most people could tell they were driving one if they didn't already know. It's not a Toyota Prius.
That's what I meant, I'd not even notice it had any electrical assistance and why I said I could live with a mild hybrid :D

I have driven a PHEV before in the past, I didn't like that engine setup or the way it drove at all.

Last edited:
To put an end to my thread I'll be picking up a new car on Friday. A 2020 Volvo V90 from my local Volvo dealer. I'd have liked a 2020 model or newer T5 however these seem pretty hard to come by so we've settled on a T4. I'm unsure if Polestar and Volvo are still in bed with each other as I'd look into the Polestar upgrade if so just to give the T4's mid-range a bit more oomph whilst still being able to retain the Volvo warranty. It's a great wafting along machine, comfy, quiet etc. One thing I am getting caught out with is £600 tax for two years though as the car cost over £40k brand new. There were no V60s locally that took my fancy, which is a shame as it has enough boot space for us I think, we are just getting to the 'desperate' end of the scale when it comes to getting a new car. My plan is to keep this car for as long, if not longer than my current Audi, which I've had for over 11 years and is 20 years old. I would hope to get 16 years out of the Volvo easily. I just hope the V90 doesn't end up being too big, it is a very long car, to make it a pain parking etc.

Last edited:
I'm back and a little bit gutted. I went to pick up the V90 today. There was a delay as the bumper needed re-spraying and was meant to be complete prior to my holiday alas it wasn't. Volvo's paint shop need some more training, there were numerous blemishes, a nice scratch and a few rough bits on the bumper, not a great start. I know that I could get those all sorted though after a chat so I went and completed all the paperwork. I then went out to drive off and on opening the door the smell, oh wow. A valeter has used something mixed to the wrong ratios they think inside the car or stood on something and transferred it into the car. The mat has taken the brunt alas it has also contaminated some of the are of the drivers footwell, mostly around the foot rest. The foot rest was wet with whatever it is. After being sat in the sun the smell was chemical like (mix of WD40 / Brasso / something else solventy) and made me feel nauseous. I'm not sure how they'll get rid of the smell but for now I've asked for a full refund, which Volvo have accepted as they don't know how long it'll take to sort it out properly. The other thing is to check it is sorted a hot day is required to heat up the inside of the car as that'll be the point in time when the worst smell happens, if it'll happen. I also don't want my family sitting in a chemically enhanced atmosphere inside the car! I've said I'll take a look again once sorted if I've found nothing else but it just sits a bit uneasy with me ref the chems. What do you all think?

What a way to trash a lovely car....

So I'm back to square one now :( I could do without the stress this has caused right now what with other issues going on in my family.

Last edited:
Sounds like you quickly acted and rejected it, good for you, out of pocket for the time you've spent and new insurance cover.

My experience of local garage is that they do seem to use poor quality products/techniques for interior valetting - saw a 3touring a couple of months ago and they had used god knows what product on the seats and interior dash,
seats slippery with some silicon based product, their fascination for wet look tyres too, especially on a honda with Goodride tyres.

There's no chance I'd have my family sitting in the car with those fumes. Horrible. Silicone was mentioned, it may be a solvent based silicone something that has got inside somehow. I don't understand the wet look tyres either, ridiculous look in my opinion too.

I lost out on some time yes and £15 on insurance as that went live on August 9th when I was originally meant to pick the car up. I guess I'll lose some tax to as I can't get refunded on that until the V5 document turns up at my house.

If I end up with a Volvo and using them for servicing etc I will be requesting NO valeting. No chance now!

Back
Top Bottom