Worth paying more for an Audi over a Skoda?

Associate
My old 2004 Audi A4 B6 1.8T (red T) is showing signs of age now. I've owned it the past 11 years. It's just going to pass 117k miles which in the grand scheme of things isn't many alas the bills are getting higher to keep it going. It's in for a thermostat replacement at the moment.

I am looking at buying an estate of a similar size to the A4. I would like petrol over diesel. Whilst I have been driving a remapped 1.8T for some time I think something with the 1.4 / 1.5 VAG TFSI engine in would do these days. So I have been looking at Skoda Octavias and Audi A4s. Ideally sub 50k miles and 2017 or newer. Budget wise £18k tops ideally.

Current car cost wise hasn't been too bad at all really, even with a few big bills over the years. The suspension is just starting to feel a bit loose which considering the mileage on it I am impressed with as it is all still original. I know the Audi suspension setup is vastly different to that of the Skoda. As you can tell I like to keep my cars for a lengthy period. So would you think it worth paying a few grand more for an Audi with the more robust suspension setup over the likes of a Skoda Octavia?

I'm also keeping my eye out for Passat's but they aren't so common and seem to have a higher premium too.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't expect the suspension set-up on either car to be any more long lasting than the other.

My decision would instead be based on which car I liked the most. The A4 is a better car than the Octavia (which is, like the Audi A3, a Golf based car) but only you know whether that's personally worth it to you.

A Skoda Superb would probably be worth looking at as an alternative to the A4.

Last edited:
Soldato
So would you think it worth paying a few grand more for an Audi with the more robust suspension setup over the likes of a Skoda Octavia?

No, i live in a rural farm area with awful roads that barely qualify as a road and they are absolutely full of bumps and pot holes.

Suspension is still not much of a problem even though all 3 cars in my household are what you would call cheap and nasty old cars compared to Skoda.

What goes is the wheel bearings and alignments and suspension springs go when the rot due to age and our wet climate.

Associate
I have been looking similar skoda vs audi. Mechanic who deals in performance vehicle and 30+ years experience told me to avoid the 1.5 tfsi as they arent reliable. They are also underpower when pulling about a heavier estate.

18k if you look about could land you a 2016 or newer Audi A6 Avant Black Edition

Petrol

Diesel

The 2l TDI engines are robust and there 100s of older ones for sale with 150k+ on the clock so defo a long term option if you do the usual upkeep and serviving

On the Skoda option they aren't as nice interior compared to the Audi in my opinion. On of my mates has put 60k onto his 2018 Octavia (40-100k now) and majority of those miles in last 2 year have been take away deliveries and hes had no issues, showing signs now of need a clutch but expected around these miles.

Get out and test drive and see what suits you better :)

Last edited:
Soldato
somewhat similar boat upcoming replacement of 3 series touring manual,

golf estate appeals in terms of size/looks (not too large, unlike passat),
giving up rwd is an issue, for which would need to be a 3 again, or C class, but I doubt latters handling would be as fun.

Octavia estate on lower power versions has a torsion beam, not multi-link suspension, but I suppose boot size is the same (I thought fords & golfs may make similar choices)
on long trips in mates octavia estate diesel does seem refined w/o excessive cabin noise, so insulation on octavia ok.
Leon estate might be between the octavia & audi, for refinement; focus estate nice looking, nice prices (because of engine issues?)

want to stick to manual, dct, in traffic, doesn't appeal, or zf, both with an eye on longer term reliability.
wildcard a £15K ID3 would work for 80% of trips, but with limited range, recharge inconvenience would not offset cheaper fuel costs.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies folks. I have been looking at superbs however they are bigger still, same size as an Audi A6 I think. I don't think that'd be an issue though it's just not a needed for the car to be any bigger than A4 size. I did also look at golf estates / Focus estates however I think they're a smidge on the small side. Same with the Leon, as I think that's the same size as a golf estate. I'd avoid any Ford engine with a wet cambelt setup, I've heard about ridiculous service costs to change the cambelt and stories about bits of belt breaking off and blocking oil ways, which isn't ideal.

Interesting about the 1.5 engine. I'll go reading about why it is unreliable, I didn't realise it was. All I know is the 1.4TFSI is a pretty good engine so assumed the 1.5 would follow in its footsteps.

I only mention suspension as I think the Octavia uses a MacPherson strut type setup which I personally don't think is as solid as the Audi setup I have on the front of my current A4. I don't think the 1.4 Octavia uses a torsion bar setup on the rear that I can see.

Pigeonguy UK, I saw that A6 last night. I did an MOT history check and last years advisories didn't sit well with me. No problem if the parts have been fixed / replaced but as they're only advisories they may well not have. Good to see the Octavia clocks up 100k without many major issues. I had my clutch replaced at 90k on my Audi, only as the gearbox was out to be fixed, and the garage said there was still a good bit of life left in it, which surprised me.

Ref diesels. A fair few of my journeys are quite short and I don't think a diesel engine is best suited for that reason. Can't be bothered with cleaning / replacing DPFs and any other re-circ / cleaning systems due to gunking up.

I'll go take a look at some. I'm not a badge snob but would be willing to pay a little more for extra reliability / quality is all.

Associate
I've had both a skoda Octavia Octavia and a Passat, I preferred the Octavia and had a lot less issues with the several years of ownership of the Octavia than the years ownership of the Passat. Also the Passat is bigger than the Octavia (same size as the superb). In the end I sold the Passat within a year which is something I've never done with any other car.

Associate
OP
Thanks Zairs. I didn't realise the Passat was superb / A6 size. I thought it was Octavia sized. Interesting to read you had so many issues with the Passat too, not something I'd have expected to read. Which engine did you have in the Passat? was it mostly engine troubles?

Associate
OP
I have been looking similar skoda vs audi. Mechanic who deals in performance vehicle and 30+ years experience told me to avoid the 1.5 tfsi as they arent reliable. They are also underpower when pulling about a heavier estate.
Any info on what is so unreliable with the VAG 1.5TFSI? I've just been reading and can see that when paired with a manual gearbox there were numerous experiencing a kangarooing effect in 1st and 2nd gear at low speed. It seems there were software updates released and that those problems 'should' have disappeared by now? I wonder if a remap would have fixed that issue? Strange all is OK when the engine is paired with a DSG / auto box.

Associate
Any info on what is so unreliable with the VAG 1.5TFSI? I've just been reading and can see that when paired with a manual gearbox there were numerous experiencing a kangarooing effect in 1st and 2nd gear at low speed. It seems there were software updates released and that those problems 'should' have disappeared by now? I wonder if a remap would have fixed that issue? Strange all is OK when the engine is paired with a DSG / auto box.
he didnt go into much detail if im honest.

Soldato
I would get an Octavia as it will be cheaper to maintain than an A4, and is a nice car offering good value.

In general I regard Passats as having poorer reliability.

Associate
OP
Just looking and now wondering how a Ford would compare. The 1.5 Ecoboost engine doesn't have a wet cambelt and has reasonable economy. I could get a very low mileage car for quite a reasonable price. Would it last as long as a VAG car though...

Ford Mondeo

Associate
Thanks Zairs. I didn't realise the Passat was superb / A6 size. I thought it was Octavia sized. Interesting to read you had so many issues with the Passat too, not something I'd have expected to read. Which engine did you have in the Passat? was it mostly engine troubles?
Both 1.9tdi, the passat had electrical problems mainly but also speed sensor issue (whole hub needs to be replaced) and snapped spring. Also didn't like the cabin, biggest issue what the door card was so high up the door it wasn't comfortable to rest the elbow on either the top of the door card or the rest in the middle (sounds silly but really noticed it after a while if you do long journeys)

Associate
OP
Do they not share most of the mechanical components with the Octavia? Why would they be less reliable if they have the same engine and gearbox etc?
I was thinking along the same lines.

Though VAG gearboxes aren't all that great at times. My pinion shaft bearing died at around the 90k mark. The hardened surface on the roller bearings must have started to flake off. Having the 1.8 red T did not help me here either as the gearbox is slightly shorter ratio than the 1.8 non red T. So that cost me a fair bit to get fixed. Must have been due to a dodgy bearing batch I assume as those bearings sit in oil the whole time.

Back
Top Bottom