Worth risking cheap PSU for 2/3 days?

Associate
My PSU 500w Corsair has stopped working. I have a cheap CIT 500w brand PSU that I could use until i get a new one in 2/3 days when I get money.

Is it worth the risk? I am getting withdrawals and need to game...

Soldato
Yeah it says 500w but it probably isn't.

Not sure if srs

I'm being serious. People nearly always over state the importance of an expensive PSU, as if all of the cheaper ones just explode the moment you put any sort of load on them.

It's only a few days, it'll be fine to use or at least try out.

Soldato
I'm being serious. People nearly always over state the importance of an expensive PSU, as if all of the cheaper ones just explode the moment you put any sort of load on them.

It's only a few days, it'll be fine to use or at least try out.

Its not only exploding, its undervoltage causing hard disk crashes/BSODs etc.. poor ripple control causing silent death of electronic parts, lack of protection for overload/overvoltage/short circuit etc.. Most don't blow up, they cause issues in other ways.

Soldato
Its not only exploding, its undervoltage causing hard disk crashes/BSODs etc.. poor ripple control causing silent death of electronic parts, lack of protection for overload/overvoltage/short circuit etc..

Yes, which is a great argument for getting a quality PSU to run a system long term.

A cheap one for a few days isn't going to do anything bad.

OcUK Staff
Please stop acting as if it's just gonna blow up, it's really disingenuous of you.

Sure, I'll just forget the fact I used to import all the CiT PSUs as part of my previous job and stop being disingenuous about it. OP, feel free to risk the rest of your system with that unit. It's only 3 days after all.

Soldato
Whilst ignoring the fact that you have got a vested interest in continuing on the fear mongering that goes on over even looking at a cheap PSU right in its fan grille.

OcUK Staff
If a vested interest entails stopping a forum member potentially putting his system at risk then guilty as charged. It's entirely up to the OP what he does next, I've just made my opinion clear.

Man of Honour
Yes, which is a great argument for getting a quality PSU to run a system long term.

A cheap one for a few days isn't going to do anything bad.

Are you going to cough up the money to replace his components if it does blow? We don't even know what it has to power. Your comments are extremely bad advice, especially as he may have a power hungry pc. That is a extremely poor quality psu that he has and the only suitable place for it is the bin.

OP, don't risk it, it's just not worth it.

Soldato
If a vested interest entails stopping a forum member potentially putting his system at risk then guilty as charged. It's entirely up to the OP what he does next, I've just made my opinion clear.

Anyone speccing up some water cooling parts are doing the same thing, potentially putting their system at risk.

Are you going to cough up the money to replace his components if it does blow? We don't even know what it has to power. Your comments are extremely bad advice, especially as he may have a power hungry pc. That is a extremely poor quality psu that he has and the only suitable place for it is the bin.

OP, don't risk it, it's just not worth it.
Stop being so dramatic. If it was particularly power hungry he wouldn't have a 500w PSU in the first place.

They aren't extremely bad advice, the problem is that you're just repeating learnt behavior, that cheap PSUs are bad no matter what.

As long as it's not utterly ragged to within an inch of its life it'll be fine. It's a few days, there isn't this massive risk you're gushing about.

Back
Top Bottom