Worth the upgrade?

Soldato
Hey guys I know Ivybridge is just round the corner, but I have just upgraded from a i7 930, 6 gig RAM, GTX 560ti 1 gig to a i7 2700k, 16gb RAM, GTX 680 2gig. Obviously there are other specs, but those being the big 3 :D

Am I going to notice much difference in games or have I been an impatient goon in not waiting for Ivy?

Also if I use my current Windows 7 disc to install the os do I get the "free trial" of Windows 7 before I have to buy a key and activate it?

Thanks.

Soldato
Is your Windows retail version or OEM? Probably should have waited but hey, it's your money and your choice so who cares? :)

You probably won't notice any difference from the CPU but the RAM and Graphics Card will be nice.

Soldato
+1

For games you really won't notice the difference compared to keeping the old CPU/RAM/HDD and just upgrading the graphics card.

Also, if you are mainly gaming then tbh the i7 2700K is overkill, the i5 2500K (or the i5 3570K if you waited a week) would be just as quick and cost a lot less.

Soldato
OP
Is your Windows retail version or OEM? Probably should have waited but hey, it's your money and your choice so who cares? :)

You probably won't notice any difference from the CPU but the RAM and Graphics Card will be nice.

It's retail. Got it from purple shirt store a couple of years ago!

Soldato
If it's the retail version then you can just install it on your new machine. Retail means you can have one install active at any time - it's not locked to the machine.

Soldato
With a full retail copy of windows you aren't limited to installing the OS on just one motherboard ever. Instead you can install it on different computers - so long as it is only installed on one at a time.

Soldato
As others have said your first Gen i7 would still be fine for gaming however you should notice a difference in some games thanks to the gtx 680. :)

Top Bottom