Would I be stupid to...

Man of Honour
(vague title I know..sorry..)

Buy a solid state hard drive. I have been thinking for a long time of getting two 36GB raptors and sticking them together for a RAID 0 windows XP setup. The total cost from OcUK would be ~£150 with delivary, Would it be daft to spend another £30 (a night's out worth), and getting a solid state bad boy? :confused:

Tomsk said:
I looked into this briefly as well.
A google reported that the SSD drives are very fast on access, OK on read but slow on write.

Hmm...doing some research myself. I think I'm going to wait a good while - at least until these bad boys come out on SATA instead of PATA.

Tomsk said:
If you don't want to wait and have a couple of £K spare try a Hyperos Hyperdrive.
Up to 16GB DDR based with optional 2.5"HD or flash memory/drive (Samsung SSD HD!) to back up data.

I do have money burning a hole in my pocket but not that much ehehe.

I'd say go for it man, quiet, fast, reliable.
Okay so it'll take a bit of time to install stuff on it but it's totally worth it.
2 raptors in raid 0 would be loud and unreliable, regardless of speed awesome speed I don't see the point.

I thought it would be fun to run this as a boot drive. Don't most MB's come without IDE now though ?

Would the 16GB be enough for vista ultimate aswell ?

pitchfork said:
I'd say go for it man, quiet, fast, reliable.
Okay so it'll take a bit of time to install stuff on it but it's totally worth it.
2 raptors in raid 0 would be loud and unreliable, regardless of speed awesome speed I don't see the point.

Lol just got them this morning hehe.

I think I'm going to wait until those non-moving drives fall in price tbh. But it's something I will deffo keep an eye on I think.

Greenlizard0 said:
(vague title I know..sorry..)

Buy a solid state hard drive. I have been thinking for a long time of getting two 36GB raptors and sticking them together for a RAID 0 windows XP setup. The total cost from OcUK would be ~£150 with delivary, Would it be daft to spend another £30 (a night's out worth), and getting a solid state bad boy? :confused:

Raptors will give you about double the read and write speeds of that solid state drive. For me that would outweight the worse seek times of the raptors. They are of course much higher capacity as well.

EDIT- Just realised someone has bumped this thread up from 1 month ago. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
but arnt they just ide only so the transfer rate is like ???.... the 64 gig looks sata =s ??? ..... if its ide wouldnt it not transfer as much or as fast ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom