• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you accept this? i9 9900k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
My 2 cents -

(1) I think for a £500 CPU a little bit of extra foam wouldn't go amiss.

(2) That being said - if on arrival it failed, I'm sure OCUK would have no issue in it being returned as faulty.

Soldato
"Not up to the job" isn't quite a correct statement. These would have been tested by Intel themselves before leaving the factory to ensure they reach the advertised clock speed. They might not push much further as that's just a gamble.

Is there another reason OEM chips exist?

They exist for system builders, dont need fancy retail packaging for that.

Soldato
They exist for system builders, dont need fancy retail packaging for that.

Technically they exist for manufacturers who build PC's, i.e. HP/Dell/Lenovo, not really for consumers - which is probably why pricewise it makes no sense to buy an OEM chip over retail. But alas Intel probably don't care who buys from which stockpile.

bru

bru

Soldato
Its probably also one that failed their bin so bottom of the barrel.

If you mean Intel's binding process, then fine, even though they only guarantee stick speeds.

But if you mean OCUK' binning process, then it is only fair to point out that OCUK do not test OEM tray CPU's that are allocated to the public. All the tray CPU's they test for speed bining purposes, any that don't make the grade for the prebinned speeds go into prebuilt system sales not back into for sale stock.

Soldato
Why? What happened?

I purchased a OEM i7 3770k when a large number were being discounted on a today only deal. The computer was unstable at stock speed but only after running for a long time, changed PSU, changed memory, upgraded BIOS, CPU passed Intel diagnostic, in the end changed the CPU and the issue went away. There was something faulty with the CPU that Intel's own diagnostic could not detect. Problem with OEM is you don't know how the CPU has been handled, or the history, plus retail version 3 year guarantee. It could have just been faulty from Intel, I just mark it up to experience and only buy retail now.

Last edited:
Associate
I had an Oem cpu recently from ocuk and I also expected better, no foam in the box and covered in paste still.

I did not complain tho which is probably a weakness of mine, I just never order from them again.

Soldato
I had an Oem cpu recently from ocuk and I also expected better, no foam in the box and covered in paste still.

I did not complain tho which is probably a weakness of mine, I just never order from them again.
Companies need to cut down on foam IMO. Received a parcel recently full of shredded twister cardboard which worked well. Agree in the case of the OP the box is a little oversized by I don't think any real chance of damage. A CPU has no moving parts and the pins are in the mobo and there were no other parts in the box to knock against.
In the case of an OEM CPU with paste on it, OCUK state they have different batches for OEM CPU's that go through binning so maybe one went astray or it was a return. Should have at least flagged it with them though in case their processes are failing somewhat (ie, stoip it from happening again).
Bought plenty of OEM CPU's in the past and all have overclocked enough for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Small enough box so the chip can't flip over, thin layer of foam on the bottom to protect the delicate bits. Looks fine to me.

Also, I've had many OEM CPU's over the years and they've been great. I don't understand OEM CPU paranoia at all.

Associate
I have never bought anything but retail for the extra warranty and peace of mind that it hasn't been pre tested or pre binned and thrown back into the tray because it never made the speed. finding paste on any CPU should never happen period.
as for retail, like any CPU you can find a good clocker or poor clocker just like OEM its just that extra warranty, unless you lap them of course :D

Soldato
I’ve had many issues with OCUK on poor packaging and open new items. They are often 20% to 30% more expensive here as well. You can always find what ever you need elsewhere much cheaper. The many reasons why I don’t order from here anymore. It’s sad really because a few years back OCUK were great. Those days are long gone.

Soldato
I’ve had many issues with OCUK on poor packaging and open new items. They are often 20% to 30% more expensive here as well. You can always find what ever you need elsewhere much cheaper. The many reasons why I don’t order from here anymore. It’s sad really because a few years back OCUK were great. Those days are long gone.

Yeah. I really want to buy my new build from here, but fear the numbers won't add up at all. If they have the chips (new ryzen) I'll order, but everything else will come from else where.

There are other places to go.

Soldato

Open 'new' items shouldn't be accepted unless it's something like a GPU where you have paid for a water block to be fitted or a retail CPU to be pre-certified to hit a certain speed. Price wise the principal is the same with any retailer - occasionally even the purple shirt brigade are cheap for something. What generally dictates where I shop is the relationship with the retailer. Having dealt with the usual suspects for 20+ years, I know who I would and wouldn't like to deal with if things go wrong, the easiest by far is a certain rainforest themed retailer who tend to be .... hot on returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom