Would you get married in a church?

Man of Honour
This isn’t a thread for religion bashing or belief preaching, just for opinions on the following:

I really like churches. I think they are beautiful, traditional buildings that have been a place of many joyous occasions. As such, I couldn’t imagine a better place to become married. However, I am not a Christian. This, to some extent, makes me feel that it would be disrespectful for me to get married in a church.

I was asked “but surely if you don’t believe in God, then it doesn’t matter anyway?”. However, I cannot agree. I think it would, arguably, be mocking Christian beliefs by taking advantage of what is essentially a religious building for my own benefits.

I’m not getting married any time soon (thankfully ;)), but I thought it was an interesting point of discussion. Is it right to get married in a church if you are not religious? What do you plan to do, or what have you done?

Man of Honour
OP
People without faith who get married in a church are not seeking gods blessing though, are they? They are getting married in a church as the idea of a church wedding is appealing.

But the whole reason of getting married in a church is to have a ceremony in front of god, since it is a religious building.

Should a church be preserved for its religious reasons, or is it little more than a glorified function hall? I think some Christians might find the latter quite insulting. Hence, I would choose not to get married in a church.

Man of Honour
OP
To me though, a church is simply a nice building. Nothing more.

From my perspective, it isn't simply about how I view the building, it's about the opinions of those who own and frequently use the building, and what it means to them.

Man of Honour
OP
I think it would be an issue to pretend to be religious. I told the vicar I was an atheist and explained my views on marriage and why it was important to my wife. He was happy enough so I don't see why anyone else should be put out.

In those circumstances, I imagine I would be happy to get married in a church. I think that is very respectable of you.

Man of Honour
OP
To be fair, as far as weddings go, an Anglican Church is a place of business with generally a set rate for the hire of the building and an additional fee for the vicar. The Catholic church is similar but calls it "a donation" instead :D

Well, that's the whole issue. Should a Church really be used a function room, from the 'consumer's' view?

Man of Honour
OP
No, actually I'm being objective. Of course it's a place of worship, that is blindingly obvious, the question is whether or not that matters to an atheist and I don't think it does.

If you think something is based on made up nonsense, lies, half-truths and chinese whispers does it merit tip-toeing around it so as not to offend?

My point, which I think I made better previously, was that it doesn't matter to me how others view a church in this context, only how I view it.

That's fair enough. Out of curiosity, would you be happy to have a drunken rave in a church, considering it is just a building, or would that be disrespectful?

Man of Honour
OP
Good question!

I don't go out of my way to offend people (mostly) so I would only have a drunken rave in a church if the vicar was on the decks.

Haha, good answer.

I imagine it would be hard to draw the line when deciding what is 'disrespectful' if a church truly is 'just a building'. I think partying is a good example as it isn't something we consider to be impolite anyway.

Back
Top Bottom