Would you go to University?

I didn't go to Uni, through choice, but sometimes I look back and think I made the wrong one.

I don't regret my decision based on my job now. I think I'm doing OK in my professional career and have made it to the level I am with nothing more than college education, experience an a bit of drive.

At the time I decided not to go to Uni because I didn't believe in myself. I knew what I was like and as someone who was/is very easily distracted I know I would've been one of those people in Uni leaving it all to the last minute just to get a ****-poor grade.

Though now, I realise the benefits having a degree does have. If I wanted to move abroad I'd find it difficult as why would a country want someone without a valuable degree? Though my partner has one so I could just marry her and piggy back lol.

It all seems like a scam these days. The vast majority get into large debt and then don't even use their degree at all. Not to mention accommodation is extremely expensive in most areas

I don't think you know what education does, or at least understand the scope of it.

As an example, we have site engineers at work that can't write a site report properly. They write things like, "I went and got my tools and steps from the van." If they'd done GCSE Science, they'd know that a) that was irrelevant and b) a report should be written in the third person.

Not only that, but the quality of people's spelling and grammar is appalling. This doesn't seem to get completely fixed by university, but it's certainly better.

Last edited:
I don't think you know what education does, or at least understand the scope of it.

As an example, we have site engineers at work that can't write a site report properly. They write things like, "I went and got my tools and steps from the van." If they'd done GCSE Science, they'd know that a) that was irrelevant and b) a report should be written in the third person.

Not only that, but the quality of people's spelling and grammar is appalling. This doesn't seem to get completely fixed by university, but it's certainly better.

I'd say those that go to university already have this skill, or most of it.

Apparently "those that go to uni earn more".
But I personally don't think this is due to actually university. Some cases yes. But a big factor must be many are innately capable/competent/technical and are thus drawn to it. These people would probably out earn the average Joe anyway. Even if they didn't go to uni.

So so many of us have said our degrees are worthless and have never been used.

I do kind of feel I was scammed out of time and cash myself.

Last edited:

You have to ask, if your spelling and grammar needs fixing at university, is it really the right place for you?

I personally wouldn't bother with a degree unless you specifically need it for the role you want (ie teacher, doctor, engineer etc). I'd advise anyone who wasn't sure what they wanted to do now to just pick a trade and work your way to 70k+ income after 5 years. Either that or coding or something with a core skillset that's transferable.

I hated school as a teenager, achieving middling grades having put in absolutely no effort. I went straight into work but was unable to get a career off the ground.

I went to university in my 30s and studied chemical engineering, which I now do as my job.

My regret is not doing university earlier, but realistically I did not have the maturity or work ethic to succeed when I was young.

I didn't go to Uni, through choice, but sometimes I look back and think I made the wrong one.

You can always do it part-time - see the Open uni, the University of London's online/distance learning courses and various local colleges or universities that might offer part-time programs.

You can always do it part-time - see the Open uni, the University of London's online/distance learning courses and various local colleges or universities that might offer part-time programs.

I have flirted with the idea of doing a OU degree in something completely unrelated to my professional career. Just between working and having a toddler I don't have the time at the moment but it's something to think about in the future for sure

My spelling and grammar has always been poor yet I excelled at Maths and Science with straight A's but struggled with English where I barely scraped a C.

Everyone has skills in different ways.

Mine's down to 100% laziness, I'm glued to devices that have spelling and grammar checkers all day. If I actually proof read the stuff I write then it wouldn't be so bad but I have staff to do that at work... lol

It could also be down to the fact that my English teacher was a ****...

Back
Top Bottom