Would you pay $750k for this punk? (NFT Art)

Soldato
Is it NBA releasing these clips?

My question would be; what's stopping people selling their own 'hot shots' on Rarible etc?

The whole NFT thing seems so open to duplication and just general chaos.

It's an NBA official product. So yes they sign off on them. Dapperlabs will be doing the same for other sports markets. In duplication terms there's nothing to stop you duplicating real world trading cards either - some of which sell for millions of dollars. In the same way though your dupe won't be authentic so won't have the same/any value. The Blockchain confers scarcity and ownership.

Soldato
It's an NBA official product. So yes they sign off on them. Dapperlabs will be doing the same for other sports markets. In duplication terms there's nothing to stop you duplicating real world trading cards either - some of which sell for millions of dollars. In the same way though your dupe won't be authentic so won't have the same/any value. The Blockchain confers scarcity and ownership.

Hmm. Tradable cards / coins / stamps / other collectables are real and usually have history and objective sentimental value. These hotshots are just video clips and NFT art is ultimately pixels that are either already widely distributed for free or cheap digital art that people have just knocked up. People are paying for the certificate of authenticity which just feels like when people pay a load of money for an acre on the Moon or something. The values seem based upon pure speculation and FOMO.

I feel like we're at peak bubble.

Soldato
I think we're at a crossroads as younger generations grow up in virtual worlds, roblox etc...

I think to the coming people virtual items do and will have the same importance and value. I think we're at the bottom of the mountain. This is early doors.

Caporegime
Is it NBA releasing these clips?

My question would be; what's stopping people selling their own 'hot shots' on Rarible etc?

The whole NFT thing seems so open to duplication and just general chaos.

That's the problem it is trying to solve surely - digital art can be duplicated, if people want to trade something/have bragging rights then they have a problem with digital art in that one jpeg or mp4 video clip or whatever can be identical to another. So the NFTs, if minted by the actual artist or copyright owner, give something to separate a purchase of some digital art from otherwise identical copies.

Soldato
I was actually on one of the markets thinking about maybe investing a few quid "just in case" but just couldnt talk myself into spending £100+ in Eth on some of this stuff. I would need to basically gamble the collection of 8bit stuff i invested in became the next crypto punks. Then I thought I'd get the Kings of Leon NFT but again the bar was too high to justify it.

Caporegime
Pretty simple really.

It has value because..
It is unique
People value it.

People laugh etc but it's no different to many other things. Modern art for one.

OP, did you buy one back then? ;D

Caporegime
It has value because..
It is unique
People value it.

People laugh etc but it's no different to many other things. Modern art for one.

Yeah, I think you're right in that that's part of it for sure, especially w.r.t. the individual items.

I think there are some additional aspects too - there is more speculation here thinks to the presence of exchanges and ease of being able to buy and sell, you'd have difficulty buying then flipping modern art pieces within a day or within hours, not as much liquidity there, but with NFTs there have been cases of people buying an NFT seeing it double in value and the selling it the next day.

There is the collection aspect, not all NFTs are all that unique, some are part of a wider collection, they're unique in so far as some features go to distinguish them from other NFTs within that collection but they're identifiable as part of that overall group. That lends itself to some of the value being that you're part of a "club" so to speak, it's not just the uniqueness of the item but rather the item being a sort of expensive status symbol a finite number of people have... hype is then built around that general collection. It's laid out clearly in the name of one collection even - "bored ape yacht club", you buy one of those things and you belong to that special club of owners of that thing.

Lastly, there is the easier to manipulate aspect, auction houses have always had the risk of shill bidding, exchanges have had the risk of "wash trades" (people trading with themselves to bid up the price), with NFT marketplaces someone with a bunch of crypto wallets could just bid up their collection, combine that with the wider population of speculators/traders looking to take advantage of NFT speculation and the ease in which you can buy and sell them then all sorts of stuff can be bid up to silly prices while other stuff sits unnoticed.

Soldato
Pretty simple really.

It has value because..
It is unique
People value it.

OP, did you buy one back then? ;D

How many have you bought ?

I've been making nice amounts of crypto flipping NFT's over the past few months

Back
Top Bottom