• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

Would you remap a lease vehicle?

Soldato
I would but the gains just aren't worth it, 95 to 115bhp? no thanks.

Is that all they give is it? Having just googled tuning boxes I came across various forums for diesel cars such as 1.6 Mokka's and PoV spec diesel German whip's were the owners was banging on that the tuning boxes had turned there taxi cab engines into some kind of and I quote "Rocket ship" gaining 50bhp at the drop of a hat :rolleyes::D and how they can "blast past anything on the motorway"etc with them lol. That was on a Astra club site that someone stated that in :eek:
Gotta love diesel owners

Soldato
in your lorry scenario what gear are you in ?

surely its not that bad if you drop a gear and are back in the turbo zone ?

not worth the risk or money in having it mapped for me

Soldato
"Tuning boxes" are normally just some resistors to fool the ECU into adding more fuel. They're mostly junk and I wouldn't put one on my car or someone elses

Associate
I would but the gains just aren't worth it, 95 to 115bhp? no thanks.

I wouldn't. Not worth the hassle if it goes wrong - like you have a bad accident and some one finds it. Insurance take a dim view as would lease company.

I tried a DTUK box on a diesel Mitsubishi and it made it run like a pig and drank like one. Took it off and sent it back. Utter rubbish - my experience anyway.

Associate
I wouldn't remap a lease vehicle no. I wouldn't usually recommend Tuning boxes either but as it's a lease vehicle one of the DTUK boxes would be best as you can remove it quickly if it needs to go back for some reason.

Associate
Depends how much risk you're willing to take to be honest.

Are you willing to risk the engine going pop, the lease company finding out and you being landed with a bill for several thousand pounds for a replacement engine because you've broken the terms of the lease agreement.

It might be next to no risk but a risk none the less

Man of Honour
The main point which hasn't yet been addresses yet is who is leasing the vehicle? Is it you directly or your employer?

I'd imagine that would be considered gross misconduct and you would find yourself in very hot water

Soldato
OP
Is that all they give is it? Having just googled tuning boxes I came across various forums for diesel cars such as 1.6 Mokka's and PoV spec diesel German whip's were the owners was banging on that the tuning boxes had turned there taxi cab engines into some kind of and I quote "Rocket ship" gaining 50bhp at the drop of a hat :rolleyes::D and how they can "blast past anything on the motorway"etc with them lol. That was on a Astra club site that someone stated that in :eek:
Gotta love diesel owners

The gains with some diesels can be massive, I think because this is some sort of "econetic" garbage means there's not much to be had from it.

in your lorry scenario what gear are you in ?

surely its not that bad if you drop a gear and are back in the turbo zone ?

Dropping into 4th makes barely any difference, dropping down from 80 ish to 55 ish and then trying to get back up to 80 again is painful no matter how you use the gears.

I know your pain, I do 20-25k a year in a 100PS Transit Custom, they are woefully underpowered

I'm on for 40k ish a year, it's a 14 plate and on 71k, I had it brand new...

That 20hp extra would give you a big boost in performance - you'd certainly feel it.

Having owned a similar Peugeot Expert with 110hp, I can assure you it went very well for a van, 0-60mph in roughly 12 seconds.

I had a 115bhp caddy previously and I can hardly feel any difference, especially with the amount of gear I carry in it.

Why on earth would you spend several hundred pounds of your own money modifying a car that:

Because I spend A LOT of time in it, see above, 40k ish miles a year is a long time spent sat swearing at the bloody thing for being so slow.

It's a shame because it's a cracking van, looks decent in ford perfromance blue, all the toys in it etc.. it's just slow as a barge.

Soldato
Is this why van drivers are always so aggressive on the road, they don't want to lose any momentum. :p

I feel your pain but would be very careful with a company vehicle as any impact on fuel use (if you have a fuel card) will be noticed.

Caporegime
Having read this thread, I'd love to try a thus modded Scania...

2008 - 2014 Scania (HGV) Series (P/R/T_Euro5) 440 12.7L XPI 6Cil 440 BHP
Model Year: 2008 - 2014
Vehicle Type Chosen: Scania (HGV) Series (P/R/T_Euro5)
Engine Type Chosen: Trucks
Engine Size Chosen: 440 12.7L XPI 6Cil
Std Engine Power (BHP): 440 BHP Model
Std Engine Torque (NM): 2300 NM
Power Increase Available (BHP): +80
Torque Increase Available (NM): +300

http://www.evolutionchips.co.uk/Truck_and_Heavy_Goods_Vehicle_Remapping_Search.asp

But, no matter how many hours I spend driving one, a: my employers would not be too happy about it and if they deemed it a good idea surely would have already have chipped them given the supposed fuel savings & b: I'm damned if I'm paying for anything to be done to my work vehicle!

Back
Top Bottom