Would you stay in a job you strongly dislike for the money?

Soldato
Sorry to hear that - perhaps think of making a move.

For what it's worth, I have 4 of the 6 (dem working hours and dat stress). Any more than 4 is probably pretty rare.

sadly moving is not an option. acted the mouth in my earlier years which left me with next to no qualifications. 41 years young now so kind of stuffed! been trying to self study in some of the fields I use a bit at work (ccna atm, then look at something related to active directory/windows server and the likes) but location screws me over too. living in the tit end of nowhere and only 5 minutes from work has left me kind of lazy! :p

Caporegime
sadly moving is not an option. acted the mouth in my earlier years which left me with next to no qualifications. 41 years young now so kind of stuffed! been trying to self study in some of the fields I use a bit at work (ccna atm, then look at something related to active directory/windows server and the likes) but location screws me over too. living in the tit end of nowhere and only 5 minutes from work has left me kind of lazy! :p

You can change careers or jobs whenever you like in life, it just depends how hard you want to do it and whether you can fight off the comfort zone you're used to. Unless you're on a salary that's extremely good for your current role, finding something else with what you've got shouldn't be a pipedream.

Soldato
You can change careers or jobs whenever you like in life, it just depends how hard you want to do it and whether you can fight off the comfort zone you're used to. Unless you're on a salary that's extremely good for your current role, finding something else with what you've got shouldn't be a pipedream.

He summarised his mindset in the last sentence of the post you quoted :)

Soldato
The last sentence was clearly tongue in cheek but I had assumed that was obvious (given the smiley thing at the end) Guess it's true what they say.....never ass u me. ;)

Seems more like acceptance to me. He knows what to do, he's just comfortable.

Soldato
OP
So small update to this. She's going to resign tomorrow. The environment is so toxic that she's the only one left in her team of 5 that she started with in January. The other teams have been equally decimated. As she tells the story, she just can't seem to work in a government/all female office with all the crying, mismanagement, screaming, shrill voices, door slamming, endless sick days that puts the overall project under pressure and back stabbing. TBH, sounds more like a children's creche than a professional work environment.

I've suggested she takes a few months off and just enjoy making me coffee in the morning and making sure dinner is cooked when I get home :p . However, as these things always seem to work out, she got contacted by a headhunter out of the blue to interview for a role in a big data migration project - at what works out roughly 15k a year more. FTC too which is absolutely perfect for her. Starting a week after she leaves her current role. She's yet to get the role and I don't really think she cares either way. Always a good way to go to an interview with the pressure off.

But yea, I think we've both realised that you can always tough it out so long in a bad job before all the money in the world doesn't make it worth it anymore.

Caporegime
Life happiness over job pay.

I do not live for my work. If I'm in an OK job with ok pay and ok hours that suits me.

I would only do a year in a place I was unhappy with and it would have to be 3x my salary if for example the commute took my day to 10 hours rather than 8

At same time I know I'm never going to do a job I love as I'm either not qualified or the jobs pay to low. I value having enough money and time to enjoy life. So I need enough for holidays and hobbies and not much more.

That said I can do this because I never want kids, no need to have an inheritance etc. Own a house yes, but I need no more

But damaging your health (if it's that bad) - no amount of money worth that.

Man of Honour
I love what I do but I don't like my commute, and a lot is expected, but the pay is commensurate with the pressure (and market leading), and it is exciting and I do enjoy it and there's a huge amount of opportunities and a real chance to make a difference in my industry. If I could cut my commute by half it would be even more amazing. But that's because I like getting to work just before 8 and leaving around 5-530 at the latest.

Associate
I DESPISE my job. Work for JLR. Been there 2.5 years +. Refuse to give any workers a contract, keep us as agency so no sick pay/no decent pension etc. 1 day off sick leads to you being fired next time heads are cut. Not long had my first day off in the entire time i've been there due to being hospitalised so i expect to be gone by the end of the year anyway. Constant repeating of process leads to a insane amount of RSI. My body is riddled with them and i'm in constant pain. Night shifts are the worst building 45 cars an hour at 4am is not good.

On the plus side it's very easy but repetitive work and i'm on 40k basic. If i can last another year till my mortgage is due for renewal i'm gone once i get a better rate. Would rather be on minimum wage than stay there a minute longer than i need to.

Soldato
OP
I DESPISE my job. Work for JLR. Been there 2.5 years +. Refuse to give any workers a contract, keep us as agency so no sick pay/no decent pension etc. 1 day off sick leads to you being fired next time heads are cut. Not long had my first day off in the entire time i've been there due to being hospitalised so i expect to be gone by the end of the year anyway. Constant repeating of process leads to a insane amount of RSI. My body is riddled with them and i'm in constant pain. Night shifts are the worst building 45 cars an hour at 4am is not good.

On the plus side it's very easy but repetitive work and i'm on 40k basic. If i can last another year till my mortgage is due for renewal i'm gone once i get a better rate. Would rather be on minimum wage than stay there a minute longer than i need to.

Yea I'd say that it's probably time for a new job!

Back
Top Bottom